Raising the compression?

R

riske

Could be a little animal screaming for its life hanging inside your arch... thats just my 2 pence worth

DannyGTI-R

I know this sound stupid but happens to mine quite often the disc covers on the back of the discs get knocked around and only catch when cornering just check they are a go 10mm away from the disc.

djdoc360

Thanks for all the replys,I will check the wheel bearings and disk cover. I change all 4 pads before my inspection. Oh yeah and the engine/ tranny mounts are nismo ones. They dont look old or worn.

C

chris_gtir

rattle very annouying

right ppl i have an annouying rattle which i believe is gearbox/transferbox area, only happens when car is in neutral or when u are changing gear and driving, when the clutch is depressed its silent. i thought release bearing so had a new clutch fitted since it was apart, also had the flywheel lightnedned as well. since being put back togther i still have this rattle, we have changed the box oil, transfer and diff oils, still no difference, and also my ABs light comes on and off as it pleases and the ABS keeps coming in when u r stopping at normal speeds lol. and ideas on either of theses probs?

thank u chris

C

chris_gtir

i had a bad jubbering prob with my paddle clutch on moving off in 1st and using reverse, when we took the clutch out to swap it other the flywheel had a quite a few high and low spots, had it skimmed and lightened and wht a difference. still rattles like mad though.

boost

sounds to me like the pressure plate isnt being pressed down enough by the thrust bearing.. might of broken up. had that a couple of times on other cars i had or just realy annoying noises that only could be solved by changing it..

Btw mate dont get dis hartened as im sure there are people on here that are wiling to give you a hand mate. especially if you have gone to alot of work on your car as it is..
where are you located?

soin

located nr plymouth mate .. had a quote of between 500 - 575 just to pull the engine and box off and refit assuming problem can be fixed without replacing anything .. im almost ready to pull the thing out myself .. cant be that hard .. i aint no mechanic though .. im gonna stick with it mate .. cheers

GTIR_Dan

broken gearbox - advise on repair please

hi, dismantled my gearbox yesterday to find out what had broken and took the following pictures. Can someone tell me what exactly ive broken and how much the parts will cost roughly. Or do you think its worth just getting a 2nd hand box?

Thanks in advance

GTIR_Dan

thing is i dont want to get a replacement box and have the same thing happen a week later, we all know what an arse it is to get the gearbox out

noriek2003

you've broken 5th gear synchro hub, quite common, they crack and then eventually fall apart, it happened to me years ago and i've probably brought 4 broken boxes with the same thing.

just replace the parts and all will be well again.

P

pulsarboby

i may have the bits your looking for to repair your box or i have a good s/h one, pm me in if thats any use

you can get the parts from nissan but theyll cost a fortune

johnsy

you seen that that bearing at the top, i managed to snap that off and put it through my casing , i know use it as a paper weight lol

noriek2003

can i still get these parts from nissan?
yeah, i'f it was me i'd buy the hub and the clips new (about £40-50 from memory ). I wouldn't use a second hand one as like i say, its quite common for them to crack.

the hub is the bit that you now have in 3 equal sized pieces and 2 smaller splined broken bits in your photo.

i may have the other bits in my garage, will have a look for you, if you've got a bearing/gear puller its not a hard repair tbh.

Animaldaz

You need to check the ABS Ecu for fault codes, its located behind the kick panel in the N/S footwell, there is an led on the side and you need to count the flashes then find the thread on here to find out whats faulted.
Your rattle sounds like worn bearings in the gearbox, this is fairly common. Its a bitch seeing as you've already had the box out once.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
yeah, i'f it was me i'd buy the hub and the clips new (about £40-50 from memory ). I wouldn't use a second hand one as like i say, its quite common for them to crack.

the hub is the bit that you now have in 3 equal sized pieces and 2 smaller splined broken bits in your photo.

i may have the other bits in my garage, will have a look for you, if you've got a bearing/gear puller its not a hard repair tbh.
Would it not be worth having his g/box and contents parts cryo treated or shotpeened before its put back together for added strength?