Raising the compression?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've managed 260/280 miles (at motorway speeds) to a tank on mine. The only thing I don't like is running out of steam at 130ish.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can't remember if it was me or not. If your Vin confirms RB, then it should have come with an RB box.
I think you ran the VIN for Geeza on the other site and told him it was an RA with a close-ratio box in it, but maybe you didn't and he got the information from somewhere else.

Sounds just like yours to be honest. Top-out at 130(ish) and get no more than about 260miles out of a tank... or 100 if you drive at WOT all the time... probably an average of 180(ish) around town?

Bobby is probably right that it doesn't make it very useful for track work, but for blasting people off the lights it's insane! SNARL, kshssst, SNARL, kshssst, SNARL, kshssst.... and you up to motorway speed. If the clutch is in you shouldn't get any engine braking... or you could always slick-shift, but that makes a terrible noise.

On the upside, lower ratio makes it easier to light it up I guess... although I did try doing some donuts, and she really didn't want to brake traction (so I just went round and round in circles until I gave up on it).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought this bit was the key;" "SEQUEN SHIFTER
"(Sequential Shifter) is the item which can convert H pattern to sequential pattern which can controlled only by shifting the shift lever back and forth."
That says to me that it can convert a standard H into sequential by clever internal mechanics.

Oh crap - I've just understood what you meant Bobby - they're all north-south gearboxes, not east-west!
I get it now - still if the conversion is done by the unit in place of the normal shifter, maybe it can still be made to work.

Last edited:

geoff pine

I have an Ra with a close ratio box the importer told me if the gearbox went under warranty they would not replace the close ratio box they (called it a quick shift box )but would fit a standard box .It was not mentioned as a selling point it only came up after i had payed for it its never hit more than 125 and never got more than 180 miles between fill ups.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
PobodY said:
Oh crap - I've just understood what you meant Bobby - they're all north-south gearboxes, not east-west!
I get it now - still if the conversion is done by the unit in place of the normal shifter, maybe it can still be made to work.
So how do evo's get around this, would something that they have not be modified or fitted for our gain?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I'm sure this has been looked at before.. The EVO used a different type of shifting mechanism i think.. I also asked IKEYA if they would make one for the R and the answer was no..

vss irvine

Did the primera gt touring car have a sequential box ???
yes but most were fwd, and from makers like HEWLAND, XTRAC, RECARDO etc

there was a 4wd sequential gearbox for the 4wd primera (NME)

but that engine was tilted towards the rear, so no good for the gtir.

here are some links

gearbox (no casing available btw!)

http://www.touringcarspares.com/images_new/parts/trans/hewboxweb_large.jpg

and 4wd primera

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/20640/Nissan_Primera_Touring_Car.html

Radleigh

Evo gearbox is cable mech, GTiR is Rod mech... It'll be a pain in the arse to convert, I've looked into it... But it can be done, all you need is ££££££

Good luck.

gtirx2

I have a close ratio box which is proberly an rb box and like fast guy said i think 1st is slighty longer than a normal box,also i think reverse is slightly higher geared aswell.
I think i was getting something like 38 57 80 98 128 on my clocks compaired to 35 64 97 126 163 on a standard box.
5th in a close box is like driving around in 4th on a standard box, and like bob says you really do get thew the gears very quickly.
If you drive flat out you will only be using the 5500-7500rpm zone all the time.
Saying that i always found 4th to 5th a bit of a jump but nothing to bad.
The close box was good fun but i was glad to go back to a standard box.
As for issues with these boxes,the only gear in mine that is different and looks stronger than a standard gearboxs gears is 3rd which is cut differently.
I will try and dig out a clip of fast guy doing the qtr on a close box.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've had this on 2 occasions now, tried all methods, heat, massive breaker bar (with scaffold tube on the end to extend it further) on a proper 3/8 extractor. In fact the first time this happened I went out and bought an oil extrator and sucked the oil out the filler hole, never looked back ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That was on a very wet day. I never did get the balancing act of boggin down or lighting up in the conditions quite right.

So would you go as far to say. If you needed a new gearbox you would go for a short ratio one? The 0-60 times must be quick! What times you looking at FastGuy? Also whats your top speed?

I'd like to drive a normal one (same weight and power tho) in anger and see how it compares. I tried next doors' one a few years back (dodgy dealer sort of bloke lol) and his "300bhp" one felt a damn site slower than mine with 246bhp.

Markturbo managed a 3.9 to 60 compared to my 4.0 at the J tuner group thrash. It's all down to how we drive them;-) I topped out at 123mph on the Datron, 130+ on the speedo.

I would prefer a higher top speed tho on a new box.

karting

bob i know your in this post but the red pulsar you sold me, its a RA yes? becuase i remember nearly topping out at 130ish on the speedo, so it could have a rb box?

P

pulsarboby

yes its an ra sam, i would say thats definately an ra box too, its nothing like the rb, if your ever round my neck of woods again take the rb for a spin up the road and youll see the difference immediately

G

gtiral

Probs covered a million times but.....

hey everyone! i am needing to upgrade my gearbox as i am going to be pushing big power shortly and obviously i need to strengthen it!!
basically i need to know the weakest parts in the std gearbox! so if someone could point me in the right direction as i am doing this a different way to just buying a quaiffe!!! all help is greatly appreciated
cheers

alex