Raising the compression?

olliecast

Micra Ed said:
All you need is to get a straight gearbox case in one bit and put it under a Renishaw Cyclone II!!! Cad drawing done! hha.
there we are, ed has offered to buy the scanning hardware! :thumbsup::p

PaulB

Bobby,

Since were all on the topic of gearboxes yet again, what would you foresee happening to the gearbox i have fitted if i was at 450bhp?

I realise it would be safer with a quaife gearset, but with that being the only uprated part of the box then would it just be a case of stripped cogs, as the bearings etc are all the same? I mean the force on the bearings in your box would be the same as mine and they are both the same bearings so can withstand the same pressure??

I personally think, as long as you dont drag the box, and put so much force on it at the step of a foot, the casing should not split, as the force as you accelerate normally is loaded gradually?

Any thoughts

Fusion Ed

shock loading is what does it. Simple as that, remove the transient loads i.e. launching hard gear changes and your far far less likely to break anything.

Trouble is with a pulsar they just grip so god damn well.

Radleigh

PaulB said:
Bobby,

Since were all on the topic of gearboxes yet again, what would you foresee happening to the gearbox i have fitted if i was at 450bhp?

I realise it would be safer with a quaife gearset, but with that being the only uprated part of the box then would it just be a case of stripped cogs, as the bearings etc are all the same? I mean the force on the bearings in your box would be the same as mine and they are both the same bearings so can withstand the same pressure??

I personally think, as long as you dont drag the box, and put so much force on it at the step of a foot, the casing should not split, as the force as you accelerate normally is loaded gradually?

Any thoughts
I'm so close to getting rid of my Pulsar, three reasons

1: I just lost my job
2: Pistons #2 rings have gone
3: Gearbox paranoia

If I still had the job I was in, Id have built it to 400/450 spec, with gearbox to match. But at the mo all I got is a shell worth **** all :sad:

Shame, as the point im making, is I wouldn't be launching my car like yourself, it was going to be 'fast road and track' so hopefully have lasted longer!

Oh well.

saddler

Done some looking around and found a company that will do Magnesium or Aluminium Race Gearbox Casting :p.. what is it thats needed = is it the gearbox end case as i will give them a call

P

pulsarboby

PaulB said:
Bobby,

Since were all on the topic of gearboxes yet again, what would you foresee happening to the gearbox i have fitted if i was at 450bhp Any thoughts

ok paul, right il be bluntly honest with you now:-D
i sold that box and bought quaife because at 450bhp 'with what i was using it for' it would have broke for sure! but if you treat it with a bit of care and just do the odd trackday then it may be fine.

as ed has said the main killer is shock loading, launching and aggressive driving style!
the other thing i found that kills a box very quickly is a short shifter, its not the shifter that kills it but the guy whos using it lol
they tend to provoke a much more aggressive driving style where you slam through the gears very quickly (this is how i killed my first box on track)
3rd and 5th are very close and you can easily miss 3rd and straight into 5th which will cause panic if your racing someone then youll smash it back into 3rd then kaboom:lol:

imo short shifters arent needed, the standard throw is relatively short anyway and you should be able to change gear just as quick without one.
your box will thankyou for it in the longrun;-)

MarkTurbo

I fitted a clutch for somebody that had a shortshifter fitted, when i took the car for a test drive afterwards i was shocked at how bad the gearchange felt :shock: The standard gearchange isnt that positive but with a shortshifter it just feels about 3 times as bad and i found you had to really ram it in to get the gears which wont do the box any good in the long run ;-)

Ive got a solution for the casing issue.....................just use a standard box :lol: As soon as you launch it if its going to break then 1st gear will just fall to pieces and no broken casings! You'd go through a few boxes but you might get lucky and get 1 or 2 runs out of each of them before they break. Plus a standard box is about 1/10th of the price of a quaife/ppg so you could afford to through a few :lol:

red reading

abyss the gearboxes arn't that week,you have to think of this.
some of the car's are running 2-3 times more power than standard and a lot of torque,the car is now getting on for 20 year's old,and o.s giken clutches have no give at all or in a lot of case's no sprung loaded centre's to take the sudden shock of standing start's and quick shifter's,when you combine this with a sticky drag track and slick's something will give, evo's have a achilies heel as well,which is the transfer box but most owner's a wouldnt know it was fooked as they drive like women

abyss

does anyone have rough idea of the cost to get a steel casing and bell housing made. that can take 450-500 all day long.

GTi-R23

Relatively speaking, they're not. There aren't many people running standard power, most have at least 25% more power than standard and there are alot more with alot more! Not everyone ruins a box every other week. So the big reputation they have for chocolate gear boxes is a little harsh. Once you start running big torque through one (which is most peoples aim who own an R) or launching then of course it's gonna struggle. Would be nice to have an indestructable drive train, but the more power you have, something will give eventually.

red reading

MarkTurbo said:
Lets not be stupid here, they are ;-)

well i have only broken one,and that was by side steping the clutch on the rev limiter ,god know's how many times i have done this,o and the box had covered 95000miles 18years old so that constitutes to a week box:lol: , o forgot to add i used to work for hewland gearboxes and am completley clueless;-)

Radleigh

Boxes are weak! Mine just got jammed for no reason! got stuck in reverse gear for the fun of it, and its still jammed. Need to take it apart to look, Got a box of boby to sort it, sound box drives fine, but it shows how WEAK they are, the bell housing CRACKED when I was doing it up, admittidly my fault, but the metal is S H I T!

We need a new casing, or at least someone to modify one,and just test it and test it.

I know a guy that does work for drag cars, been in the business for years that would take on a job of modding a box ;-)