Raising the compression?

Mr GTiR

I've seen DET sensor's fitted to the front of the block near the orginal oil seperator.

I know Mad Bazza had his car set up this way.

youngsyp

You could try getting a spanner on it and whacking it with a hammer. That'll be far more effective than trying to turn it with a spanner/socket alone. The shock of the hammer blows will break any 'seal' that's formed. That's how impact wrenches work ! (Sorry if that is teaching you to suck eggs !) You'll have far less chance of shearing the head off the bolt too !

Also, just to clarify, you say that you could use your aftermarket egt sensor to detect a drop in the egt. Wouldn't running lean cause a rise in the exhaust gas temps, not a fall ?

Last edited:

CruiseGTi-R

When running lean egt's get higher, but when knock occurs egt plummets sharply.

Some people think they have safe egt's when actually they are getting lots of knock and lowered egt's.

I'm fixing the sensor elsewhere on the block and seeing how that does.

youngsyp

CruiseGTi-R said:
When running lean egt's get higher, but when knock occurs egt plummets sharply.

Some people think they have safe egt's when actually they are getting lots of knock and lowered egt's.

I'm fixing the sensor elsewhere on the block and seeing how that does.
As far as I was aware, 'knock' is 'det' which, is caused by a lean mixture. This would cause the egt's to spike (get higher).
If I understand what you're saying, when the ecu detects 'knock', it'll drop boost and retard the ignition timing and this will cause the drop in egt's you mention ?!

A

AJ4

No, because the combustive force of the 'det' is instant and uses all the energy of the charge up before its meant to, by the time the gas gets around to the egt sensor its already cooled, hence the drop in temperature that you see.

CruiseGTi-R

Eerrm, I thought the '20' in SR20DET meant 2.0l :oops: ?

Or does '2.0' and 'DET' mean it'll det and explode at 2.0bar ? :-D .

Whats the R meant on yours at the end? SupercharrrrrRRRRger? Isn't your a Whipple? SR24DEW better?

youngsyp

AJ4 said:
No, because the combustive force of the 'det' is instant and uses all the energy of the charge up before its meant to, by the time the gas gets around to the egt sensor its already cooled, hence the drop in temperature that you see.
Gotcha ! ;)

A

AJ4

lol, yes the '20' part is the engine size, and for some reason the official Nissan engine code for the aspiration is t=turbo s=natural and r=supercharged

creedy

i think i may be abit thick...:lol:

but how do these work?? i cant figure it out for the life of me

Sam_M

ABS Light driving me insane...

Can anyone help, ive had a fault code of 5 which is left front abs sensor, Just changed the sensor and its still giving the same fault, I dont even know what to try next :(. Im assuming its something to do with the connector to wherever that leads in the engine bay. Anyone have any clues to what else it could be.

This only happened when my gearbox was changed, the garage say they never even touched the abs side of things but something must have been disturbed surely. I dont know what to try next. :doh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. Ive checked alll the fuses aswell, all are in tact

OZ-Racing

Well I think it's too much of a coincidence that it's the sensor closest to the gearbox.

Check all the cabling and connectors for ABS in that area. They must have pinched or pulled a cable while shifting the engine / gearbox about :sad: