Raising the compression?

olliecast

Smo said:
And if so, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a lot of labour to haul the box out (possibly engine?).

Cheers.
yes mate, and unless you know how old the clutch is you could also replace it while everything is out

Smo

Well thankfully I have sourced a release bearing already and the clutch is fairly recent (I'll double check the paperwork though and if necessary replace that too). Although I must say I'm relieved it's only that and not something more serious - at least I'll have my car back fairly shortly and with (hopefully) relatively little hassle.

Cheers fellas.

P

pulsarboby

Smo said:
I was driving home just now and after coming out of a corner I shifted up into fourth and began to accelerate when there was a crunching noise and the car held back rather violently

thats not a sign of a release bearing going as your foot would have been off the clutch and on the gas!
to me it sounds like your clutch plate centre is about to break up, either that or theres a prob with the g'box

Smo

Little update - upon further inspection likely suspects are a sheared diff/driveshaft or dead gearbox. I'll pull the shafts out and get a torch involved, see what I can see. Hopefully I'll get away with replacing the passenger shaft but worst case scenario is a new gearbox.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Trondelond said:
I'll (hopefully) show you the difference in a couple of weeks, went from OE elbow/2.5" exhaust and ARC TMIC to 3" AM Performance turboback exhaust and a Forge FMIC recently. I figured I'd take the car on the rollers soon, just to check everything is in order. :)
Stay peeled for updates on my project thread, in between all the useless posts. :)
Any update on that?

nimhbk

as said get your standard ecu remapped by someone like Micra ed and hope for the best. Ed is very good and £ reasonable as well

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
All manufacturers in the automotive industry have used heat treatment (case hardening) on various hardwearing parts for decades.
99% of the internal contents in your gearbox will already be heat treated although saying that the methods used by the various manufacturers are all the same and the quality is pretty inconsistent.

Anyway it’s not so much the gears as the gearbox housing in our case so although the oem gears can obviously be improved (Quiafe e.t.c.) and that does seem to help a lot the gearbox housing design is the weak link in the chain.

Last edited:

1&onlygti-r

i spoke to quaiffe about them making a better gearbox case, this is what the said.
Anything is possible Dan, but it would be a very expensive project. It is not some thing we would undertake without a development fund from yourself. Please get back to me if it is of interest but I would expect a minimum cost of £25 000 just to get the drawings and moulds done.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
stevepudney said:
Anyway it’s not so much the gears as the gearbox housing in our case so although the oem gears can obviously be improved (Quiafe e.t.c.) and that does seem to help a lot the gearbox housing design is the weak link in the chain.
I know it’s been talked about before, but has anyone actually had their casing cryo treated yet and was their any feedback (whether its was standard gears or aftermarket)?