overfueling?

djdoc360

turbodaily said:
it basicly does it higher up in the revs,in any gear,but i notice it more in 3rd and 1st gear. it just splutters and bogs down for a mini second and then picks up and goes.

does it quite often when booting it,when changing into 3rd gear and then putting your foot down again it splutters then picks up again. but if you change gear slowly when booting it, it tends not to do it. but it does it quite alot in 1st gear if you floor it, as soon as it comes on boost.

its got ngk iridiums in it,which is the next question what should they be gapped to, think its 6 is it not?
i have the same spark plug but mine are 9 heat range. i had a similer problem with some lower number spark plugs ... most ppl yse the 7-8 heat range.

turbodaily

youngsyp said:
After all that, I'd tend to agree with you !

When you go for the re-map, they should be able to give you a definitive answer as to what's causing the issue but, it would seem to be pointing to the mapping !
cant think what else there is mate to be honest, the day is closing in anyway, so i should find out whats going on when it dyno'd. ive heard good things about engine advantages so im sure she will be in good hands.

im using heat range 8 plugs by the way,which is correct for this boost level.

i will let you know what happens as im sure you will be interested to know =) cheers for the help i apreciate it.

cheers lads

turbodaily

guys was just out 2nite and noticed it does this even if i rev it up on idle, just backfires when getting to around 6k.

so far i have changed: fuel filter,checked plugs,fuel pressure,ht leads,dizzy cap,rotar arm.

fault code is 55 - all clear.

just wondering what sort of symptoms does a faulty afm give? as i have another r sitting outside so can change it over...

Kingy69

AFM does show up a fault code, cant remember off the top of my head what number though.What fuel are you using? i always use vpower/optimax but twice used BP ultimate and my car ran like crap. I ended up buying an octane booster,tipped the lot in and back to normal. My car did exactly what yours is doing and third time round it was a plug breaking down.It will soon show up on a dyno. Hope you get it sorted!

Kingy69

Well i wouldnt think its a fuel problem from what you have said. Give the plugs a go and check the old ones for fouling. When the plug goes your car normally sounds like a WRX but i found when there on there way out it seems to stutter before it totally gives up. I had bad breathing on the engine and traces of oil were damaging my plugs.

Kingy69

turbodaily said:
guys was just out 2nite and noticed it does this even if i rev it up on idle, just backfires when getting to around 6k.

so far i have changed: fuel filter,checked plugs,fuel pressure,ht leads,dizzy cap,rotar arm.

fault code is 55 - all clear.

just wondering what sort of symptoms does a faulty afm give? as i have another r sitting outside so can change it over...
Sorry just noticed you said you checked plugs. Another thought, check your vac and boost hoses just in case a clip is slightly loose or something.

azboy

have u changed the timing since its been mapped m8, does it seem to miss a bit as the ignition moduel could cause this, below the coil

turbodaily

i will pop in soon mate just sorting some bits on it, got the coilovers on it now.

it only misses at about 6k, it does this whilst on load,or if you rev it up stationary to about 6k, sometimes it doesnt do it too bad but it still looses power at around 6k,goes all flat and forces you to change gear. i havent been able to rev the car to 7500/8000rpm since i bought it!

turbodaily

well had the car on the dyno today, turns out it was massivly overfueling top of the revs, after a play about with the mapping she made 307bhp and 296 ftlb torque. (spec is standard turbo,exhaust,decat,filter,walbro, 1bar boost, unichip,forged pistons) im happy with that. bigger turbo next!

turbodaily

yes mate, it was overfueling at high revs, i think the 550 injectors are abit overkill for running 1.0 - 1.1 bar. the only prob i still have is that it bogs down on quick gear changes, only like a mini second and then it picks up and goes. wondering if my turbos abit dodgy as i suspect something been sucked through it at some stage as one of the blades has a tiny bit of damage on it.

MarkTurbo

turbodaily said:
i think the 550 injectors are abit overkill for running 1.0 - 1.1 bar
Just slightly :lol: Why on earth did you put them in to run that amount of boost :? or are you planning on more power soon? Thats a good power figure for that amount of boost 8) Mine was similar and made 305bhp and 285 ft/lbs at 0.9 bar but that was with a standard ecu ;-)

turbodaily

MarkTurbo said:
Just slightly :lol: Why on earth did you put them in to run that amount of boost :? or are you planning on more power soon? Thats a good power figure for that amount of boost 8) Mine was similar and made 305bhp and 285 ft/lbs at 0.9 bar but that was with a standard ecu ;-)
err i didnt put them in lol,nothing to do with me! the previous owner had them fitted for some reason. i was thinking of putting standards back in but matey has mapped it for 550's now. i did ask if id be better off putting standards back in but he said no need now as its setup ok on 550's.

what boost and power and standards rated up to?

i guess if i put standards back in it would need a remap...

turbodaily

what rpm should you be able to rev to with standard cams and turbo, my r goes well up to 6800rpm and then power drops off. could have sworn my first r would rev over 7k easily. tbh i think shes still overfueling but it runs alot better than before anyhow. just wondering if i get a bigger turbo (probably a t34 compressor modded on standard turbo) would the 550's then be needed?