no gears??

rx jamie

i doubt it....if the release bearing fails it usually makes a racket and then the clutch is always engaged. unless its came off during fitting and you forced the box on and its holding the clutch springs in disengaging the cutch. but i maybe clutching at straws now. think the best thing you can do now is take the box back off and go from there.

Dangerous Dave

ye they was fine they looked in good shape.the box went on ok didnt have to forse it on.
i might take it to the garage dont want too!!

Last edited:

rx jamie

dont be soft. just whip the box out and the answer might be staring you in the face. plus you'll save a fortune. i dont think billy back street garage will be able to spot anything you cant.

hmm, very strange.
Are you sure you didn't forget to put flywheel back on? lol
I don't know what else it could possibly be....

Dangerous Dave

ye am sure i have no parts left so everything is on.lol
as i say i will take the box off tomorrow an have a look am hoping its something stupid!!

Dangerous Dave

they are on i had a look earlyer this afternoon.
anyone in york with a pulsar that runs? an would you mind me coming to have a look??

gtir_pimp

i had something like this about 2-3 years ago in my 1.8 16v clio. it turned out to be some sort of circlip at the gearbox end of the near side front driveshaft that had snapped. only cost a few quid for one and only took a few hours to replace. do pulsars have these?!

rx jamie

actually the passenger side drive shaft does come out of the cv joint easily. i noticed on mine a few times its popped out when the engine has been out.takes a bit of fiddling to get it back in.

GTiR-Aholic

i had something like this about 2-3 years ago in my 1.8 16v clio. it turned out to be some sort of circlip at the gearbox end of the near side front driveshaft that had snapped. only cost a few quid for one and only took a few hours to replace. do pulsars have these?!

Yes, although not on outer driveshaft.. but there is a type of circlip on the internal shaft which you can knock out after removing the driveshaft/cv joint.

GTiR-Aholic

As everyone else said, i'd suggest removing the box and making sure everything is intact. Remove clutch as well, check flywheel is all bolted on good and tight as well if you removed this.

It's not an obvious fault, but sometimes you take things off because it's not working.. can't find the fault and put it back together and mysteriously starts working again lol.

Goodluck.

GTIR-LOZ

can you actually put it into gear with the engine running?
if the pedal isnt adjusted correctly then you could not be disengaging the clutch fully and the free play in the pedal will need adjusting so that the fork is pressed out further,
you might need to bleed the clutch fluid as if its got air in it then it might not disengage the stronger clutch

you could always try starting it in gear and see what happens (make sure there is lots of room infront of you!!!) when i replaced my clutch i could not engage gears i started in gear and it started creeping forward then it seemed to sort it self out and the pedal started behaving correctly the more i used it the better it got, yours might be the same

Dangerous Dave

started on it to day an am thinking it could be the passenger driveshaft fingers crossed. there is a lot of play on it puls it did just fall out in my hand!!! tell me if am wrong but am sure they are not ment to do that!!

Last edited:

Dangerous Dave

can you actually put it into gear with the engine running?
if the pedal isnt adjusted correctly then you could not be disengaging the clutch fully and the free play in the pedal will need adjusting so that the fork is pressed out further,

there is about 1 to 2 inch of play in the pedal an bled the clutch 3 times is there any thing else i should ajust??you can put it in to gear an the car dont move!

Last edited:

rx jamie

started on it to day an am thinking it could be the passenger driveshaft fingers crossed. there is a lot of play on it puls it did just fall out in my hand!!! tell me if am wrong but am sure they are not ment to do that!!

what do you mean? it fell out of the cv joint?