*Meltdown!*

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Brilliant - just done a bloody track day now wondering what damaged I've done... :roll:?

Are people looking at their manifolds in the light of day or at night?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I specifically did it at night so that there would be a good contrast. - As I said, I might not have run it for long enough to really get it cooking; I can try again this weekend... but I don't like to drive after dark because of all these young lads with their ASBOs, and their Corsas.

red reading

mine glow's but only when i really thrash the car hard,and so does my mates evo and my bikes manifold's get so hot i can light a cigarette of of them.

red reading

colour temps for you :-
http://www.muggyweld.com/color.html

scroll down a bit.

anywhere between black red and low cherry is about right for the exhaust gas temps you should be running, my egt probe on my car goes between 300 (tick over when warm) up to 6-700 (under full load ,full revs very high speed)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
colour temps for you :-
http://www.muggyweld.com/color.html

scroll down a bit.

anywhere between black red and low cherry is about right for the exhaust gas temps you should be running, my egt probe on my car goes between 300 (tick over when warm) up to 6-700 (under full load ,full revs very high speed)
Well if that's the case mine is 700-800oC then, going off that gauge with not much effort (looking at it at night time)

boost

cant be throwing enough fuel in can it?> somethings deffo not right... any car ive had in the past.. you give it half hour of beans and then there glowing red/see through

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
@danny, very useful colour guide :thumbsup: I've learnt something new today.

@Andy, buy an AFR gauge and a consult.

I was just thinking of the symptoms, high temps mean potentially lean running. You saw this after a gentle cruise. Gentle cruise equals lean running equals higher temps. Possibly too lean or with too much IGN at that point? At full beans you will be running richer and as you run a "gayboy" boost level ;-) it might only be a problem on cruise?

Without an AFR we're guessing at what is happening.

Another alternative is on light cuise you are getting incomplete burn and the mixture is still burning in the manifold?

Just re-read the post. Based on Danny's chart I'd say a reasonable range would be:

Blood Red 649
Low Cherry Red 746
Medium Cherry Red 774

Some run a bit higher and some prefer a bit lower but I'm buggered if I could tell the difference from the colour of the manifold.

Last edited:

uk-gtir-matt

Hey Andy,

This exact same problem happened to me in my old series 2 rst. It was a real head scratcher as our initial thoughts were timing of the ignition or a dizzy that was playing up.

In the end it was traced to a faulty injector on pot 3, lack of fuel was causing the car to run lean and making the manifold glow bright red even though I was driving on standard boost of 7psi.

Just an idea though dude and I hope you find the cause before something terminal happens.

Regards

Matt

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Andy, buy an AFR gauge and a consult.

I was just thinking of the symptoms, high temps mean potentially lean running. You saw this after a gentle cruise. Gentle cruise equals lean running equals higher temps. Possibly too lean or with too much IGN at that point? At full beans you will be running richer and as you run a "gayboy" boost level ;-) it might only be a problem on cruise?
AFR bought today, will fit asap. On another note, I'll prob's look at buying Nistune to sort the car out, but one thing at a time.

In the end it was traced to a faulty injector on pot 3, lack of fuel was causing the car to run lean and making the manifold glow bright red even though I was driving on standard boost of 7psi.

Just an idea though dude and I hope you find the cause before something terminal happens.

Regards

Matt
Funny you should mention that, I do find that one of the branches does start to glow before the rest.

uk-gtir-matt

There's your answer dude :) I'd get all four injectors checked out and change the rubber seals at the same time to make sure they all sit flush.

If it were me I wouldn't drive it anymore incase it dets and takes the piston with it.

Regards

Matt

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Well I got the EGT running finally...

Although I have boost of 0.2bar atm (due to my actuator issues) I recorded a startling 800oC at WOT! :shock:

Possible timing issue?