*Meltdown!*

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Where do I start… :noidea:

For the last month or so I’ve noticed my car using more oil than normal, after JTS it drank about 1.5-2lts of the stuff over 300-400 miles, yet there was very little coming out the back end of the car (only when really hammered hard/hot it might let out a little blue puff on gear changes, but after all my turbo issues I dismissed this as an issue due to residue oil in the system – long story!) :roll:

Anyway after checking my oil recently I decided to pop out for a lengthy drive to see if the oil consumption was still on going. Filling up at the petrol station there was a small burning smell and some smoke from the engine. Bonnet up and a quick check confirmed my thoughts that when checking the dip stick a small amount of oil had dripped on to the manifold heat wrap and was just burning off.
Either way just to make sure all was ok I would stop further down the road to make sure that it was all ok. :)

After a gentle drive down the motorway (no boost @ a genuine 65mph) for 3-4 miles, we pulling into the first service station and I performed a quick check. All the smoke/smell of burning had gone/stopped – great!
However in the garage forecourt lights I never noticed something quite worrying, as my friend lent over to feel the enormous amount of heat from the engine his shadow covered to the manifold to show it glowing strawberry red!!!!!!! :shock:

Not a little bit, but this CAST manifold look liked it had come out of a CORUS furnace. Although the manifold is wrapped in heat tape there are bits of it have been damaged or exposes which allowed me to see how bad it was.
The turbo and downpipe were not glowing at all, nor was the oil temps high (70oC), boost is a nice 0.6bar (not that it matters as I’d not used any boost anyway) and I’ve not done anything to the car recently apart from whip the turbo off about 4 times, had the rest of the custom exhaust completed and that’s about it.

Now that you have the info, my next question is what the hell would be causing this? :sad:

Spoken to a couple of members on there about this (possible fuelling problems, timing and I’m going to look into that)
Over the last few months I’ve been meaning to fit a wideband and now a EGT since this problem has arisen, but is there anything that would be worth looking at.

I’m going to have to inspect the engine to see what (if any) damage has been caused and get it all sorted out before Cadwell Park in Aug :?

Any comments about possible things to look out for or explanations for what’s going would be appreciated.

The only time I've had anything like this was caused by a blocked cat! So i would say you've got a problem with the exhaust, a slight blockage somewhere causing the gases to get backed up.

red reading

Cam timing (exhaust side to far retarded, has the cam sproket come loose? as it has happened to alot of people) ,ignition timing could be a mile out (check your crank pulley has not seperated and you have set the timing wrong). there is alot of things that could cause this

P

pulsarboby

if as you say you are, genuinely only running 0.8 boost with stock ecu then you can rule out possible mapping faults.

as danny said really, i would suspect a timing problem causing very high temps in combustion chambers thus glowing exhaust.
either that or your injectors are goosed but car runs too well for that to be an issue
is very strange to get a glowing exhaust at that boost level on stock ecu:?

red reading

Just thought what about running lean from a :- knackered fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator or partially blocked filter?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's as simple as the water-cooled turbo can take enough heat away that it doesn't glow, but it's still taking the heat?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Cam timing (exhaust side to far retarded, has the cam sproket come loose? as it has happened to alot of people) ,ignition timing could be a mile out (check your crank pulley has not seperated and you have set the timing wrong). there is alot of things that could cause this

I'll have a look and see if it has worked loose

Crank pulley is a one piece billet alloy unit so that this problems would not occur unlike with the standard unit.

if as you say you are, genuinely only running 0.8 boost with stock ecu then you can rule out possible mapping faults.

as danny said really, i would suspect a timing problem causing very high temps in combustion chambers thus glowing exhaust.
either that or your injectors are goosed but car runs too well for that to be an issue
is very strange to get a glowing exhaust at that boost level on stock ecu:?
Its now running @ 0.6bar (just before JTS) after the turbo was replaced and I found all the rubber boost pipes just about perished away.

Just to note, I've not got adjustable pulleys on the car, just the standard units as I've never really needed to worry about fine tuning.
I'll have a listen to my injectors and see if there is something wrong, might have a cleaning session too, just to make sure.

Anything else?

red reading

the solid billet crank pulley can still break round the center (the standard one is a harmonic ballancer and actually better for your crank bearing's than a aluminium aftermarket one btw) due to its design so still check it!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just thought what about running lean from a :- knackered fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator or partially blocked filter?
New filter, pump is only 3 years old (walbro), however reg could be on the friz...

Maybe it's as simple as the water-cooled turbo can take enough heat away that it doesn't glow, but it's still taking the heat?
Nah, no way! When I've thrashed the car the turbo glows bright red as does the downpipe, but the manifold doesn't.

This is something much more serious, to have the cast manifold glowing like it did there is something very wrong and it was all done off boost with very little load.

the solid billet crank pulley can still break round the center (the standard one is a harmonic ballancer and actually better for your crank bearing's than a aluminium aftermarket one btw) due to its design so still check it!
Will do :thumb:

P

pulsarboby

wont be the air filter dan as that will just make it run rich but could well be a dodgy fpr not holding fuel pressure and making it run lean.
also check all your small vacuum pipes and blanks as once again that will also make it run very lean.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What about ignition timing having slipped somehow? Dizzy loose?

I'd also check your oil return pipe as well if it's getting that hot. It could be cooking the oil and blocking it.

Someone did report a glowing manifold years ago, but I can't remember what caused it.

gtirx2

Very slim chance as you say you was of boost cruising,but i have read that where you heat wrap your manifold and if you have gaps this can cause hot spots in the unwrapped areas.Maybe its just the unwrapped areas glowing and not the whole manifold?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Very slim chance as you say you was of boost cruising,but i have read that where you heat wrap your manifold and if you have gaps this can cause hot spots in the unwrapped areas.Maybe its just the unwrapped areas glowing and not the whole manifold?
Nah, I had that theory, after pulling back some wrap its was all four exhaust ports that were red hot.

Carl - that link is not working...

pschurr

Even when you're running 0.8 or 0.6 Bar of boost, does the engine seem to run OK?
Does it rev freely, and does the 0.8 or 0.6 Bar come on at the normal rate?

I presume it's the factory cast iron manifold?
You cannot get that thing glowing red on that boost level - without either a blocked cat/exhaust or just a turbo shaft that has seized.
At that boost level, exhaust gas should be flowing freely through the turbo/wastegate.

peter