Knock Sensor

MarkTurbo

kieron said:
spoke to the guy at the autotech and he seemed to think it will work ok on the pulsar as one terminal is just an earth so we will see.....

be a result if it does cos it was under £60 delivered 8)
Miles cheaper than Nissan 8) A proper Vauxhall one is only about £50 too :D

I cant see why it wouldnt work either, i suppose all you'd need to do is put another pin into the wiring connector on the R and earth it somewhere.

Keira

it actually came to just under £42 delivered 8) worked it out after my earlier post

theres a little connector you need aswell, i've got that with my knocklink so dont know how much it is, wont be alot though, as soon as it turns up, might be tomorrow 8) i'll have ago at fitting it to cunning plan and see what happens.

I'll cut the standard connector off and use the new connector with an earth coming off it.

Mark, if you post up/pm me the resistance you read across the nissan sensor i'll try the bosch one before anything else to see if they're the same.

MarkTurbo

kieron said:
Mark, if you post up/pm me the resistance you read across the nissan sensor i'll try the bosch one before anything else to see if they're the same.
I'll do it later on mate, pubs calling, gotta go, laters :lol:

Keira

bosch sensor turned up today, been out all day so had no time to do it, same part number as marks, the reason my other one was a different number was its got a longer body and different shape at the connector end.

other than that its the same..

strange thing is you cant get any readings from it, cant get continuity or anything, yet when wired up to the knocklink it works fine, i just guessed the left terminal was the earth same as my old one. Yours is probably fine mark.

doubt i'll fit it tomorrow as i need to try and get the suspension fitted to cunning plan so i feel like i'm getting somewhere with the car

daz

bit late but i cant believe that u would even consider fitting a vauxhall det sensor on a pulsar!!!!!!!!!!! first ones n/a and ones turbocharged. does that not kinda give it away ffs. different knock sensors for different engines are designed and calibrated to listen for different things from the engine. and a specific resistance so that the ecu knows its there in the first place. cant believe that no one has commented on some of the above post as to be quite honest it makes people on the forum look completely stupid. i understand because the det sensor isnt the cheapest thing for what is simply a piezo microphone. but lets just use a little common sense.(btw just for the record this aint aimed at you keiron as any knock sensor will work on a knock link im on about on a standard engine) :roll:

MarkTurbo

Re: ...

daz said:
different knock sensors for different engines are designed and calibrated to listen for different things from the engine. and a specific resistance so that the ecu knows its there in the first place. cant believe that no one has commented on some of the above post as to be quite honest it makes people on the forum look completely stupid
:roll: Whats wrong with looking into something which could save somebody £150? And if you read one of my posts i've already said this:

MarkTurbo said:
For all i know they could even be calibrated differently to allow for different amounts of detting
We all know what robbing ba5tards Nissan are, so if it did work out they were the same then it would have been a good result. It was only an idea for f**ks sake :roll:

kieron said:
strange thing is you cant get any readings from it, cant get continuity or anything, yet when wired up to the knocklink it works fine, i just guessed the left terminal was the earth same as my old one. Yours is probably fine mark.
Its not f**ked after all then :lol: Bit wierd why it dosent give any readings though :?

daz

just speaking my mind thats all. i know its only an idea. and to be honest the best one is to get rid of it all together. i only know because i tried it all when i had problems with mine and being honest the nissan oem part was the only one that worked (or didnt show a fault code).

and maybe the reason you cant get a resistance across the two pins is because basically we dont know how it works and/or how it gets its readings?

MarkTurbo

daz said:
sorry to be arsey but just in a bad mood lol long day at work today
Thats ok, dont worry about it :wink:

I wish you'd mentioned this a few days ago though, it would of saved me sitting down with my electrical tester scratching my head for 1/2 an hour :lol: :lol: :lol:

daz

1/2 hour more like two days. and mark your welcome to ask me owt as i think i have had every problem under the sun thats why im bald :) and hence why car is in again having more work done because i cant be arsed to do it any more. due to engine in/out 4 times in 6 months firstly due to w@nk ap racing clutches and various other small problems which involve taking the engine out. plus a full rebuild apart from rings pistons and rods(which i wish i had done now) but now have to wait till it blows up again. but dont get me wrong would not sell it for anything

recognise this????????

http://tinypic.com/ook1k

why are images not working ??????

daz

dont u think you have forgotten something in that pic ???

like your inlet manifold :lol: :lol:

gonna be a bitch to put in when the engines in :shock:

GINGA

You need a high range multimeter to measure the resistance of the knock sensor as its something like 5000 ohms

Keira

daz said:
bit late but i cant believe that u would even consider fitting a vauxhall det sensor on a pulsar!!!!!!!!!!!
it isn't a vauxhall component its bosch :wink: used on many cars, turbo'd or otherwise, just not ours :(

no offence taken by the way, everyone knows i'm stupid :lol:

With the knocklink you dont alter anything when you connect one to it, although you do have to calibrate it and adjust sensitvity so may be here lies a problem :? . If you know something then let it be known and i wont waste my time, you say you've already tried everything, what did you try ?? and by trying it dont that make you just as stupid :wink:

If you tried this particular sensor i wont bother, if you didn't i'll give it ago,

If it doesn't work its no real bother cos the yellow car aint on the road and wont be for a while, although the engine runs fine, so if it doesn't work i'll simply get a fault code and take it back off, wont even need to waste my time re-fitting the other one as the engines coming out anyway :wink: i'm not fussed, all i'm wasting is time as i need the sensor for my knock link anyway.

daz

i know as i said and thus apologised for is that i was in a bad mood. basically what happened kieron my knock sensor went down, couldnt get hold of one for a few weeks or so even from nissan so was looking if there was a way to bypass it or replace it. so first the local tuning garage had a knock sensor kicking about which they use when mapping engines had a look at it looked the same but was a bosch one fitted it in bolted up still showed code 34. then looked into putting a resistor in there tried all sorts nothing worked as the ecu is looking for a certain amount of noise to let it know that the knock sensor is working so ended up with another sensor and it works fine.

GINGA

If what somebody said in another post is true that the 300zx det sensor is the same as the R then it can be had from the states for about £70 :!:

Keira

daz said:
i know as i said and thus apologised for is that i was in a bad mood.
no worries, we all have bad days :wink:

if you've already tried it i wont bother doing any of it, looks like we'll have to look into the 300zx or even sr20det from a s13 etc, theres plenty of them in the states.

Who's going to buy one then :?: