Knock Sensor

MarkTurbo

Re: ...

hmmm said:
Thanks Mark for realising this now.
Thats quite alright :wink: Dont mention it :lol:

I'm not an expert on electronics but i cant see any reason why the Bosch one off a gte wouldnt work :? They look the same, and the connectors are the same. But that dosent mean it'll work :lol: I could always plug the astra one into my loom and do an ecu fault code test before i put my engine back in :idea: If it wasnt compatable then it might come up as a det sensor fault :?:

If not i could be brave and try it :shock: But i dont fancy changing it if it dosent work :( For all i know they could even be calibrated differently to allow for different amounts of detting :shock:

I'm getting a bit technical now :? My head hurts :lol: :lol:

hmmm

I hope it does end up working perfectly for the GTi-R. At least fellow owners wont have to spend the stupid amount I had to on the sensor.

Keira

is there a number on the bosch one off your gte, round the ring bit where it bolts to the block ???

i need to get another bosch sensor for my knock link, i managed to kill the one i got with it by drilling it out, melting it cos it got hot, putting it in a bucket of water, taking it apart and sticking it back together, still works sort of, just aint that sensitve anymore :lol:

GINGA

MarkTurbo said:
:lol: The postman turned up with it this morning :lol:

I've just had a look and they are the same as far as size go's and the connectors are identical too :wink:

I wonder if the astra one would work on an R though :? I reckon i might have to look into this as the Vauxhall ones are nearly 1/4 the price of a Nissan one :roll:
Measure the resistance of the 2 of them if they are pretty much the same it should work fine

Keira

hmmmm, mines got 0 261 231 148 on it, it aint round the ring either, just above the terminal. Its got bosch germany round the ring

i had the part number written down somewhere.

i'll find it....

Keira

cant find it :( .

if its 2 pin terminal i'd imagine they're the same, the only other numbers on it are a 483 and a 9 on the underside and 050 between bosch and germany round the ring bit :? its the first time i've had a good look round a german ring :shock: :lol:

like ginga says, measure the resistance across them

It would be good to know whether its the same as the gtir one, aint that a bosch sensor ????

MarkTurbo

kieron said:
It would be good to know whether its the same as the gtir one, aint that a bosch sensor ????
The gti-r det sensor is a Jecs one :wink:

It dosent matter now though, i've just found a flaw in my plan :oops: :(

The det sensor on the R only has one pin in the connector, but the astra one has 2 and uses both pins.

Thats probably why i was getting different readings on my electrical tester :lol:

MarkTurbo

I can get a resistance reading between one of the pins and the face of the R det sensor, but nothing between the 2 pins on the astra one :?

Keira

with the 2 pins ones the earth, you should get continuity between the body of the sensor and one of the pins, thats the earth, think its the terminal on the left as you look at it.

MarkTurbo

I cant get a reading between either of the pins and the body on the astra one, must be f**ked :lol:

I've got another gte 16v engine in my garden so i'll get the det sensor off that tomorrow :roll:

Keira

i've had one of my cunning plans :wink:

the knock link will work with both single and double terminal knock sensors...

if thats the case, is it highly unlikely that you could connect the 2 terminal bosch sensor to the gtir and run an earth from the correct terminal back to a suitable point and it would still operate and function as the standard single terminal jecs knock sensor :? :?: :?: :roll: :?: :oops: :?:

what do you reckon :?:

Keira

MarkTurbo said:
The only number on it is: 0 261 231 006 :wink:
not sure why mines got a different number cos i found the part number for the bosch sensor again and its the same as yours... 8)

i've just ordered one for my knocklink so i may try and fit it to my yellow r first in the way i've described and see what happens, all in the name of research :wink:

spoke to the guy at autotech and he seemed to think it will work ok on the pulsar as one terminal is just an earth so we will see.....

be a result if it does cos it was under £60 delivered 8)