Evo gearbox transplant?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Didn't we go through this on the Modifiers?

You'd need custom drive shafts, which probably also means an EVO rear-end to match it up... plus the transfer case and a clutch... then you'd need a way to change the gears (because the linkage for a GTi-R won't match-up).

The consensus was that it wasn't worth the money or effort. - For the same input of money and time you could get a cryo-treated gearset, and brace the end case of the standard box.

Here's the link.

I particularly liked the "If you want an EVO gearbox so much, why don't you buy an EVO?" comment. ;-)

turugtir

I think that the problem is that there are not many GTIR's out there, and for somebody, to make profit out of a plug & play kit for the EVO box, he should have to sell a lot of them to cover the R&D costs and time spent making the kit. It would be expensive, and a gearbox change is a complex thing to most DIY'ers, let alone installing a whole new transmission setup. There's also other options readily available, as Quaife and PAR gearsets.

It would be nice to know that is available though, and having it like an option to choose.

scott6860

i have seen the web site and they have pics of all the work on there i am all so based in germany and i am takeing a road trip with some of the lads to go on the piss and then i am going to go to they shop and see what i can fine out

boost

im looking into this.. i now need a spare gtir gearbox and evo box to compare and get some details and come up with the necessary things for.. the transplant

vss irvine

you could also do it with an audi gearbox, 6 speed.

it just so happens ive already got a gtir with this conversion done!!

watoga

you could also do it with an audi gearbox, 6 speed.

it just so happens ive already got a gtir with this conversion done!!
Did you do this conversion yourself? Has it been documented so others can have a go? Or is it a secretive hush-hush thingy?

Dave

vss irvine

its all my own work,

i turned up at the previous owners house, paid the asking price and (eventually) had the car transported home!

its only secret in the sense that the very clever man that done it (plasterer to trade) done it in his garage in the garden.

its almost complete, needs a haldex controller, fuel cell fitted, and prop and exhaust finished. but he only done it for the drag strip.

ill get it finished off one day, unless someone offers me good money for it.

red reading

its all my own work,

i turned up at the previous owners house, paid the asking price and (eventually) had the car transported home!

its only secret in the sense that the very clever man that done it (plasterer to trade) done it in his garage in the garden.

its almost complete, needs a haldex controller, fuel cell fitted, and prop and exhaust finished. but he only done it for the drag strip.

ill get it finished off one day, unless someone offers me good money for it.
I'll give you 10 pound mister,very good deal innit! you want paypal or cheque?

:lol:

vss irvine

veg oil makes me hungry, so your offer has been declined!

danny your missus wont let you have another car......

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What if I take it out of the deep fryer rather than clean? Then you can have oil that smells like fish and chips!

It's not the cheap stuff either, I'll give you stuff from a known plant (not just "vegetable").

P

pulsarboby

i knew all about that audi conversion years ago as he bought my old shell which martyn now has.
i never thought anything would come of it as he told me what his plans were, but fair play hes a very clever guy even if it never did get finished.

vss irvine

i knew all about that audi conversion years ago as he bought my old shell which martyn now has.
i never thought anything would come of it as he told me what his plans were, but fair play hes a very clever guy even if it never did get finished.
it does actually run and drive (in 2wd just now) so technically it is finished.

needs a bit of final tinkering and testing to see if anything breaks!!

tell you what danny, if you really want it, ill do you a great deal and take that old 10 off your hands, your too scared of it anyway!

Last edited:

red reading

it does actually run and drive (in 2wd just now) so technically it is finished.

needs a bit of final tinkering and testing to see if anything breaks!!

tell you want danny, if you really want it, ill do you a great deal and take that old 10 off your hands, your too scared of it anyway!

Scared of my 10r .......yes your stupid to not be! has to be ridden with respect that one as it's a bit wild .... and no you cant have it!

I keep toying with the haldex 4x4 thing after having a car that had it fitted from the factory,it really does work well and the gearbox and diff is supposed to be silly strong too.