Car mapped today

johnny gtir

thought i read on here a while ago something along the lines of msd were not suited to the R not that it was over spec once you start running more bhp but people were having trouble with them in setting up and sure there was more than one had fitted them and they had stopped working rite both were no more than two year old. could be wrong but am sure because i was thinking on buying both at the time

Last edited:

stumo

you would, but you can't always fix the problem, ignition problems are a shit to sort out as even the smallest thing can cause big problems.

simon just because it has'nt done many miles does not mean that time has not affected it , change the lot is what i would do.................
Aye, change the lot.

stumo

i would imagine you could get a lot of mapping done and fault finding in 1-2hour session no- if you no what your doing
It's an expensive way of finding out you should have built it correct in the first place......... Sure, there's lots of things that can and will only show up once the car is running but a lot of problems could be prevented by time and effort taken in the build stage and not just throw stuff on the car which is how i see a lot of cars put together.

gtirx2

I had a blaster coil die on me after only around 5000miles,i think i have also read of the ignition boxes giving up also.

I just had a read of some of my old ignition threads which brought back some painfull memorys lol

Alot of my trouble was with plugs either giving up or finding the ideal plug gap.

I was and still proberly am suffering from either spark blow out or a set revs miss/burrble in the low revs depending on the plug gap.

I think after re-reading it i was getting spark blow out at mostly around 1.2bar plus on the standard setup unless running really small gaps,which in turn running the small gaps would make my low set revs miss worse.
I think the only way to get rid of the set miss was to open the plug gaps pretty wide but then i would get spark blow out.

With the msd stuff i think i still had to run conservative plug gaps to run higher boost but the spark blow out was gone(when using good plugs) but the low held revs miss/bubble/hicup was certainly more felt with the msd stuff especially in the low revs under 3000rpm where the msd mutiple sparks.

I think in the end i put this set revs miss down to lean mixtures, and reading that cdi ignitions are not as good with off boost/light load lean mixture conditions as the longer duration sparks of an inductive igntion system like the standard setup is,and thats why the cdi ignition mutiple sparks in the low revs or something?

I think i did increase the fuelling at a set rpm point on the safc once and it did improve the miss/hicup problem.

stumo

I had a blaster coil die on me after only around 5000miles,i think i have also read of the ignition boxes giving up also.

I just had a read of some of my old ignition threads which brought back some painfull memorys lol

Alot of my trouble was with plugs either giving up or finding the ideal plug gap.

I was and still proberly am suffering from either spark blow out or a set revs miss/burrble in the low revs depending on the plug gap.

I think after re-reading it i was getting spark blow out at mostly around 1.2bar plus on the standard setup unless running really small gaps,which in turn running the small gaps would make my low set revs miss worse.
I think the only way to get rid of the set miss was to open the plug gaps pretty wide but then i would get spark blow out.

With the msd stuff i think i still had to run conservative plug gaps to run higher boost but the spark blow out was gone(when using good plugs) but the low held revs miss/bubble/hicup was certainly more felt with the msd stuff especially in the low revs under 3000rpm where the msd mutiple sparks.

I think in the end i put this set revs miss down to lean mixtures, and reading that cdi ignitions are not as good with off boost/light load lean mixture conditions as the longer duration sparks of an inductive igntion system like the standard setup is,and thats why the cdi ignition mutiple sparks in the low revs or something?

I think i did increase the fuelling at a set rpm point on the safc once and it did improve the miss/hicup problem.
that sounds like you've got more problems than just the ign .

red reading

Wonder how many realise that with afr you can get the same readings/symptoms from running a car too lean as it would be if rich (det/pre ignition = un-burnt fuel)

gtirx2

Lol yeah thats what worrys me to,yet more things for me to look forward to when i put it back together.

I cant be arsed to even start to think about to much again atm lol,but this little miss/hicup has followed me for years, even from another car!
The only thing that has remained the same over this time is the block, as i have swapped basicly everything over the years lol.

These threads contain my shocking spelling lol
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?46120-Ignition-miss&highlight=coil
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?48833-Help-ignition-problem-again-(&highlight=coil

I think i just put it down to my car running pretty lean at light load set rev conditions that is causing the miss made worse by the cdi ignition.
Flat out through the revs it was great,it was just an anonying little stutter when cruising.

I had read about simular problems on another gtir on the msd site running digital 6 ignition.

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2059&highlight=pulsar+gtir

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
@gtirx2, do you run a PFC with a Z32MAF by any chance? I found similar symptoms but it was the MAF calibration in the ECU rather than the ignition.

gtirx2

Also what is classed as a high compression ratio for a gtir nowadays?

I think as a roundabout guesstimate i worked out at the time of my issues i was running a 9.1:1 cr,i think i am now running around 8.8:1 with the thicker gasket.

stumo

you'd be best to start your own thread. this is about skidyarses problem. (i think he should wipe more)

gtirx2

Lol yep sorry skiddus,think i hijacked some elses thread aswell recentally:oops:

I will bump my old thread back up when the time comes,it just with ignition misses with the msd brought the memorys flooding back.

As mentioned above first thing i would try skiddus is some new copper plugs gapped at 0.7mm and below and see what it does.

skiddusmarkus

you would, but you can't always fix the problem, ignition problems are a shit to sort out as even the smallest thing can cause big problems.

simon just because it has'nt done many miles does not mean that time has not affected it , change the lot is what i would do.................
Probably will end up doing that Dan, will see what Nissan want for the lot.

skiddusmarkus

Well I have a new set of plugs spare so they will go in tomorrow after work, car is all locked away now and can't be arsed getting it out of the garage tonight.