Car mapped today

MarkTurbo

keep things simple, if the ignition system is in good order theres no need for all the msd stuff....its just likely to give you more headaches and problems
Couldn't agree more, i'm at 1.7 bar on the same turbo and still using all the original ignition system.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah I hear all this on wedesay from Ed and the chap at Surrey RR.The reason I got the MSD stuff is because I have water injection and from researching it, it can mess up standard ignitions.Plus a lot on here with similar specs to mine ran MSD/Mallory with no problems.Your car was mentioned specificly Danny.Another reason was I wanted to have a larger plug gap as it supposedly increases mpg.
Getting geometry done today, so after will check plug gaps and see if there is anything amiss there.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah on the RR, 1 bar is about 4750rpm and climbs to 1.4bar by 5100rpm.Obviously it spools faster on the road but I thought it would be a bit quicker spooling than that even with the 0.86 a/r.Maybe its the 260 cams I have and the air filter isn't the biggest but Ed said it wasn't causing any problems.I have a much bigger one spare, just need to get a new flange made up for it to fit the Z32 MAF.
I haven't checked where its hitting peak boost on the road yet.Bit tricky without a passenger.The e-01 has got a limited data logging facility, I'll see if it can track boost vs rpm.

skiddusmarkus

Checked plugs, they were at 0.9mm not 0.7mm like I thought.Still, should have been ok as others have run that gap at higher boost.

Mark, which A/R did you go for?

red reading

The gap on the plugs is too big simon, another thing people didn't know was the whole ignition system on my car was brand new from nissan as i felt using 20 year old parts was a stupid idea and aftermarket was pointless.

red reading

And simon compression will affect spool too so if your cams are a little way from optimum and you have low compression you will spool later in the rev range, the bonus is that your car has had rod's and springs fitted (i think you said that to me anyway) so why not rev the car to 8500rpm that it should handle and enjoy the big spread of power.

MarkTurbo

Mine is the .86 too. I think the .64 might have been better for what I use the car for but the boost creep problems people have had with the smaller housing put me off.

I've stuck with the standard cams too so whether that helps with spool up times or not I don't know. My plugs are heat range 8 ngk iridiums also gapped at 0.9mm if that's any help.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
On the road (2nd and 3rd gear), my .64ar 3071 passes 1.4bar on the way to 1.8bar around 3.4K 1.8bar at 3.8K. On the RR in 4th gear you can add 400rpm to that. I think Steve 3071 with .86 was similar and Dooie who was one of the first to use a 3071 many moons again was similar. It's probably not the cams as I also run 264's but I couldn't say what it is.

You have binned the standard elbow haven't you?

My other thought is that when I ran 1.6bar the car always felt more alive more of the time than 1.4bar. Maybe the boost controller is always holding the turbo back?

Between us all we'll get there.

Jim

red reading

jim, simons not running 264's he has tomei 260 or 256, i think rob/odin was running the same on his old car and that didnt come on full boost till late in the rev range

skiddusmarkus

Yeah, I have PAR steel rods/arp rod bolts and Tomei 260's and double valve springs.I have slightly higher compression-using 1mm HG but from what I read it doesn't affect spool ie doesn't make it spool at lower rpm, but does give more thermal energy so it will get to that rpm faster so to me is just the same thing more or less.
I did want to raise the rev limit Dan, to around 8k rpm as the engine can take that.If it is down to the plug gap its a bit of a pisser as I took spare plugs down too so easy to try with different gaps but they weren't used.

skiddusmarkus

On the road (2nd and 3rd gear), my .64ar 3071 passes 1.4bar on the way to 1.8bar around 3.4K 1.8bar at 3.8K. On the RR in 4th gear you can add 400rpm to that. I think Steve 3071 with .86 was similar and Dooie who was one of the first to use a 3071 many moons again was similar. It's probably not the cams as I also run 264's but I couldn't say what it is.

You have binned the standard elbow haven't you?

My other thought is that when I ran 1.6bar the car always felt more alive more of the time than 1.4bar. Maybe the boost controller is always holding the turbo back?

Between us all we'll get there.

Jim
I have Janspeed 3" downpipe which combines the dump pipe.

johnsy

i thought you had a full 3inch system fitted,

if not i have a full 3 and 1/4 inch helical zorbing exhaust made from unobtainium if your interested, lol

let me know when your next trip to the strip is, hopefully my car will be up and running by then

Girl Racer

Talking of boost, my R is running 1.1 bar with walbro fuel pump and uprated intercooler, exhaust upgrade. My boyfriend turned the boost up on the Greedy boost controller to 1.2 bar :pnow back on 1.1 bar as been told not safe :shock: Any thoughts on this as I miss the extra grunt! P.S on standard turbo/mushroom air filter.

Fusion Ed

Simons car is fairly high compression, I could tell from the timing it wanted to run, its a little too high if anything. There was nothing particularly wrong with cams. Upping the rev limiter would do nothing as the power is flat from 6K anyway. I thought I supplied the plugs you were running simon? I set all mine to .7 without question.

I still say take out blaster coil and run a new stock setup.

skiddusmarkus

Can the MSD ignition box be used with a stock coil as that would make it simpler?

No Ed, I got the plugs myself.As you mapped them on 0.9mm should I leave them at that or regap to 0.7mm?

Johnsy-it is all 3" but campbell was asking about the turbo elbow.I'll probably go to York in October as I think thats the last day of the season, as long as its not tipping it down or snowing.