Car mapped today

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Talking of boost, my R is running 1.1 bar with walbro fuel pump and uprated intercooler, exhaust upgrade. My boyfriend turned the boost up on the Greedy boost controller to 1.2 bar :pnow back on 1.1 bar as been told not safe :shock: Any thoughts on this as I miss the extra grunt! P.S on standard turbo/mushroom air filter.
Hi Girl Racer, could you start your own thread, you'll find your more likely to get your questions answered if your questions are posed in their own thread.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Can the MSD ignition box be used with a stock coil as that would make it simpler?
If you are using the stock amp with an after market coil then it won't be helping matters. Even with a new OEM amp it remains the weak link in the chain when you want to run the type of plug gaps used by modern cars with >400hp.

A better amp can and has been used with the stock coil, if that's the case then it would be best to keep the plug gap stock. It's a bit like running a big amp with small speakers, it will work fine until you turn the volume up and it'll blow your speakers.

I'd recommend if your coil is already in situ then leave it and get the amp in as well, run your 0.9mm gaps and enjoy smoother low load running.

Alternatively, leave it as it is and run 0.6mm gaps and forget about it.

0.9mm gaps with a standard amp on a larger after market coil is probably the most difficult combination.

Whatever path you choose use OEM leads. This is not a throw away comment but from my own back to back tests.

red reading

interesting how some have no trouble yet others have lots, wonder how much of it is to do with 20 y o wiring and shite earths, nissan also list differant coils (one cheap ,one expensive) for the gtir. the only time i have had any issues (and all my cars have run anything from 1.4 bar and up) was with aftermarket leads and iridium plugs, gaps i find depends on plug type too.

skiddusmarkus

interesting how some have no trouble yet others have lots, wonder how much of it is to do with 20 y o wiring and shite earths, nissan also list differant coils (one cheap ,one expensive) for the gtir. the only time i have had any issues (and all my cars have run anything from 1.4 bar and up) was with aftermarket leads and iridium plugs, gaps i find depends on plug type too.
Probably has some bearing on it, not touched the wiring other than to relocate the battery.I know sweet FA about electrics so best not to touch it.Did you renew some/all of the loom/earths Dan?

red reading

all the earths in the engine bay have been redone,and extra ones have been added in a couple of places,also i have a nice big main engine earth to body too.

stumo

You'll find that the ends of the earth wires are very corroded, i cut off an inch or two to get back to good cable, don't know if this has helped or not as it was one of the first things i did.

skiddy, I'm going off my poor memory....

get the king lead off the dizzy and have it about 25.4mm away from any metal, earth out the white wire on the MSD unit and you should have an amazing lightening show.
It should make a funny buzzing sound as the 6 sparks jump the gap, i'm pretty sure the sparks will jump well over that but they should be proper awesome fat white sparks....if not then you haven't got enough power going to the unit/coil.

My MSD unit/coil (6a and std MSD coil) is on a 6ltr V8 and i think i stopped making the gap bigger at 1.5mm as i couldn't get the electrode to be parallel with the core

gtirx2

I have had many spark blow out/ignition gremlins just on 300ish power, with and without msd ignition.

Cant remember all the issues now tbh as it all happened a long time ago,but i can remember once that i wired the standard coil up back to front by mistake and this got rid of the issues i was having at the time,wtf was that about lol?

I will have a look back through some old threads to see what i did,but i am pretty sure most times it would always come down to the plugs i was using or plug gaps.

I think some of the issues i was having was down to iridium plugs which imo just dont work well with the msd ignition.

Also if you give stumos msd testing a go be shit carefull! as i once done this and got full on zapped by the bastard lol.
It went up one arm and down the other which left me a bit shakey pissing with sweat with acheing arms that felt like i had been down the gym for an hour or so lmao
I also took and indirect zap to the tit aswell once when messing with it on the car,that was also unplesent!

skiddusmarkus

Yeah this is why I don't suspect the MSD really as I remember reading about stumos,cambells and steve pudneys cars using it with good results.

stumo

Yeah this is why I don't suspect the MSD really as I remember reading about stumos,cambells and steve pudneys cars using it with good results.
but you still need to check it out.

you do have new dizzy cap, rotor and leads???? And by that i mean proper NISSAN parts not shite from the local motorfactors? Just cos it fits doesn't mean it's any good.

johnsy

i thought one of the reasons why you'd have a dyno run was to find any problem and solve it, not guess

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
They help to find problems but cost around £60 an hour to hire so they're not the place to fix faults. Unless they're easy one..

skiddusmarkus

but you still need to check it out.

you do have new dizzy cap, rotor and leads???? And by that i mean proper NISSAN parts not shite from the local motorfactors? Just cos it fits doesn't mean it's any good.
I bought all that stuff new(Nissan bits) when the engine was rebuilt so although probably 6 years old or so they have only done around 1500 miles.Ed gave the dizzy cap a clean and tried a differen(but not new) set of leads on it.Plugs have a few hundred less miles on them.
Was gonna buy new leads as a precaution.

johnsy

i would imagine you could get a lot of mapping done and fault finding in 1-2hour session no- if you no what your doing

red reading

you would, but you can't always fix the problem, ignition problems are a shit to sort out as even the smallest thing can cause big problems.

simon just because it has'nt done many miles does not mean that time has not affected it , change the lot is what i would do.................