Xenon headlights, ever been done?

A

AJ4

no chance Jim, they match his under bonnet neon that shines out through the vent :wuss: :behindsofa:

CruiseGTi-R

I use the rally bulbs, 90w or something, not road legal. Much better than stock.

But, can never have too much light.

I want the purple flashing ones to match my windscreen washer bulbs :-D.

youngsyp

I was looking to do this a while ago and found the Pilot kit to be the best in terms of price versus performance. The ballasts are Japanese made so, at the better quality end of the spectrum, compared to the Korean and Chinese built ballasts. You should be looking for at least a 1 year warranty on the ballasts and bulbs but, some go from 2 years upwards. Also, the Bi-xenon kit is the most idea as, you'll have a HID dipped and main beam as opposed to just a HID dipped beam or HID dipped and halogen main beam. Again, the idea colour temperature is 4300k (the same as sunlight) but, 5000k kits are also very good. You should note that although one company may state they're kit is 6000k, it's probably more like 5000k. You can normally tell by looking at pictures on their websites.
As the kelvin scale goes up, the light output goes from white (4300k-6000k) to white with a blue tinge (6000k - 7000k) to blue and then through to purple at the 10000k -12000k end. These kits are for 'show' use only and completely non road legal, plus not having any usable light output.

The site mentioned above is the best in the UK but, if you scour fleabay, you can find some good suppliers in the states on there !

You should ideally be looking for a 'plug and play' kit. This will allow you to plug the ballast into the car harness via a supplied loom and then just put the bulbs in and plug them into the ballast. A 20 minute job on the R. Oh, and keep the ballasts out of places where water can get to them !

Hope that helps a little

dobby

you do need the bi xenons. otherwise you wont have a high beam anymore. highbeam is shit anyway...... if only it kept the dip on aswell.

tee

yes you will need the bi-xenon kit for the R.
i have spoke to my mate that organised the GB last time and he got back to me with this:

Ok sorry its took a while to sort this out.

The kits have gone up in price

£240 + Shipping bi-xenon
£200 + Shipping Standard HID

but with distributors discount i have got them cheaper than what we payed well slightly.

£180 for a bi-xenon HID kit
£154 for a Standard Xenon kit

both of the above include shipping too

Can supply them with either 4300k Perfect White bulbs or 6000k Ice-White.
The different is 4300k are very sharp and have horizon lines with no glare. 6000k lose horizon lines creating an even spread of light.

Is it ok for you to arrange the group buy as your a member of the Pulsar club and i can take payment in cheque form once everyone has paid i'll order.
If there are loads of people i'll order in batches of five!

Send us a link to the GB and set a deadline of 2 or three weeks which ever you think is best to give everyone the chance to sort out there cash.

Nath

so if there are a few of you interested we can sort out some sort of GB, or just register your interest on here and we'll take it from there.

forgot to add these kits are plug and play only take a few minutes to install, come with the waterproof ballasts and everything needed to fit the kit.

maz

Great work tee, that sounds brilliant :D hopefully we can get a few people interested in this!

tee

kits are made by extreame lighting i think and yeah there is a warranty on the ballasts and the bulbs afaik mate i think its a years warranty

tee

anybody else up for this if you interested we can get a GB going if we have more then 3 people

list so far:
1. chiefpulsar

houghy_1

Im a definate possible:? if that makes any sense

But it wouldnt be for a month.
It all depends what happens when i get mine back on the road
regarding any problems etc cos that would come first.

Put me down as definately maybe:p

Matt

youngsyp

Just to add to this, it's probably better to go for the 6000k kit as, apparently the 4300k kits still look a bit yellowy in OE, non HID headlamps. Although you may lose a little light output over the 4300k kit, it will still be far greater than the OE lamps output.

This is what's recommended by www.hid4u.co.uk

I'd love to put my name down for these as, I've been interested in HID's since as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, the possibility of new dampers and just moving into a new house has reduced my cashflow considerably !

Good luck with the group buy though !