Xenon headlights, ever been done?

maz

Just wondering if anyone has seen an R with Xenon head lights? and if it would be a difficult upgrade to carry out? I absolutely hate the ugly yellow looking light that comes from the headlights.
My mum has the Xenon lights on her mini cooper S and they are so much easier on the eyes.

all help much appreciated :)

P

papdog

The kits you can buy will work on the R. I looked into it a little while ago for mine but never got round to it.

Graham

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
maz said:
I absolutely hate the ugly yellow looking light that comes from the headlights.

:shock:

Mine's bright white. (totally standard set up) sidelights are abit yellowy all 5W of them or whatever.
Try cleaning your earths up, I've just had to renew the passenger side one as it was burning out at the socket on the headlight:shock:

dobby

i got xenons on mate. worth doing as it is so much better. i'll never have a car without them again.

A

Adamski

dobby said:
i got xenons on mate. worth doing as it is so much better. i'll never have a car without them again.
Me too... I fitted one side at first to see what the difference was and fook me my standard ones were poo.

tee

so have i worth it for sure, especially now the kits are going kinda cheap compared to a few years ago.
the ligh is sooo much brighter and is ace at night on dark B-roads

before

after

Last edited:
O

Odin

Wow I'm impressed :shock: :shock: :shock: .

I thought these might be a bit chav, But that looks way better than the standard lights 8) .

Whats involved in doing this job, I'm absolutely rubbish with anything electrical by the way :oops: :cry: ....

Rob

stumo

Thunder God said:
Whats involved in doing this job, I'm absolutely rubbish with anything electrical by the way :oops: :cry: ....

Rob
except for that vibrahh, it's battery powered

O

Odin

stumo said:
except for that vibrahh, it's battery powered

:doh: SHUT IT FOOL :der: .

Oh I just got my parcel by the way 8) .....

Thanks buddy :thumbsup: .

Rob

tee

Thunder God said:
Wow I'm impressed :shock: :shock: :shock: .

I thought these might be a bit chav, But that looks way better than the standard lights 8) .

Rob
im not exactly great with electrics or anything for that matter, but its really easy.
basically its just changing bulbs, then connect the bulbs to electric box of tricks that comes with the kit, have one wire go to battery, and one earth. thats it job done

J

justin666

So the obvious next question is, Where would one get said kits from.??? Which kits do people use.????

Cheers

J.

Excuse my ignorance, but are Xenon kits the same as so-called HID kits?

I have an HID kit in my car. They're bright as fook but main beam doesn't make much difference over dip.

maz

any chance of a link to the kits that you guys purchased? and il grab one and fit it

tee

the kit i got was part of a group buy from another site, there actually from america, and yeah HID kit is the same thing AFAIK.

i'll try and get the link for it for you matey

geetee

You need to get the right temperature bulbs (this doesn't relate to the heat it's the spectrum of light they put out).

Cheap chavtastic kits tend to be really blue and are actually tiring on the eyes after extended use. The more expensive kits produce light more towards the normal daylight spectrum which while not seeming quite as bright when you look at them actually give better visibility and don't make your eyes tired.

Cheaper kits can also give seriously bad glare to oncoming traffic - particularly when fitted behind older lenses designed for bog standard halogen bulbs.

If I remember correctly 6000K bulbs give a white / daylight and 8000K upwards become more blue with anything 9000K upwards actually sacrificing the intensity of the light to gain "blueness".

Just my 2p worth.

CHeers
Graham

tee

yeah thats correct mate as the kit i have got are the 6000K set and the light isd white not really got any blue in there at all