who has a nice painted rocker cover

MORF114

Welling_AL said:
What product did you use to get that finish ??
Did you key the surface first with wet n dry ?
Any advise for a home jobbie much appreciated !
Paint stripped it all power washed it all with water to get all the shit out then wet sanded it all with p600 used all glasurit products on it, 283-150 etch, 285-31 wet on wet primer, 55- line basecoat only just started using 90 line over here been using 90- line for 9 years in uk (90- water based paint 55- solvent based) and 923-144 racing clear 2-1 with 929-91 fast hardner with 10% 352-91 reducer glasurit clear is the best clear ive used and 109 clear is awesome clear has a wicked shine on it but takes alot longer to dry used with 30% 352-91 unless you have a infra red lamp to heat and dry or other heat source of 60+degrees, cost using those products will not be very cost effective for a rocker cover as you could paint 10+ rocker covers by buying the smallest possible amount from glasurit and its not cheap being one of the best or the best paint manufacturer in the world. use to spend $50000 a month on paint in my last job painting 8-10 full resprays a day.

Need to do it again next week as i dropped my new recaros on it and scratched it :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
Just finished mine and managed to get rid of those nasty rusty nuts, washers & studs :-D
Those fasteners look very nice Steve. I was thinking about doing something similar but, with polished stainless cap screws.
Eventually, all the fasteners in the engine bay will be replaced with the same !

@MORF114 - That's a very nice colour and finish on your rocker cover bud ! :thumbsup:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
youngsyp said:
Those fasteners look very nice Steve. I was thinking about doing something similar but, with polished stainless cap screws.
Eventually, all the fasteners in the engine bay will be replaced with the same !
I have been looking at this problem and the various options for ages.

Paul, the problem with the OEM studs is that they are largely a 8.5mm unthreaded stud with a section of M6 thread on the top, with the rocker cover in position the rubber grommet slips over the stud then the nasty rusty cup washer and the dome nut then tightens down to the shoulder of the stud.

The problem is no "off the shelf" bolt lengths are quite right, M6 is fine but the standard lengths are either to long and bind in the head or there to short, so oversized ones need to be modified to fit. The other problem is finding something that does the job of the oem rusty cup washer, there are no button head bolts that are wide enough :?

Basically it's a bit of a work up to get everything to fit "just right".

However, I have found a good supplier for the (also available in stainless) anodised ALLOY 75 bolts and washers and turn the rest of the kit on my lathe.

I need to fix the prices for the various available kits but once the prices are fixed I will be selling these kits.

Last edited:

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
I have been looking at this problem and the various options for ages.

Paul, the problem with the OEM studs is that they are largely and 8.5mm unthreaded stud with a section of M6 thread on the top, with the rocker cover in position the rubber grommet slips over the stud then the nasty rusty cup washer and the dome nut then tightens down to the shoulder of the stud.

The problem is no "off the shelf" bolt lengths are quite right, M6 is fine but the standard lengths are either to long and bind in the head or there to short, so oversized ones need to be modified to fit. The other problem is finding something that does the job of the oem rusty cup washer, there are no button head bolts that are wide enough :?

Basically it's a bit of a work up to get everything to fit "just right".

However, I have found a good supplier for the (also available in stainless) anodised ALLOY 75 bolts and washers and turn the rest of the kit on my lathe.

I need to fix the prices for the various available kits but once the prices are fixed I will be selling these kits.
Good stuff Steve, keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Dan_GTiR said:
I have a nice gold rocker cover, that I painted myself.

Nice blow through set up as well, did you set that up your self if so wha differences did you notice over the original set up ?

Dan_GTiR

Steve, yes I did the "blow through" setup myself. Can't tell you the difference as the car's not running at the moment.

mprice501

Anyone know what the original red paint colour code is? otherwise i was going to get the rocker coloured in the same paint as the car TJ1 (Grey) becasue i need to get the front bumper and mirrors coloured anyway.

also everyone has changed the colour or polished it to a mirror finish, but has anyone done any designs/airbrushing or would the paint just peel off?

saddler

i was thinking about taking my cover to the bike airbrush shop down the road from me and getting the cover done with gti-r japan lettering in blue..

bopper

ive gone for the blue, Steve i like the look of the bolt kit i noticed you did them in blue but how does the blue come up, do you think it will go with my colour.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
bopper said:
ive gone for the blue, Steve i like the look of the bolt kit i noticed you did them in blue but how does the blue come up, do you think it will go with my colour.

that looks very shiny

and by the looks of things that blue is a very close match to the Samco blue.

The sample I gave to the Anodisers to colour match was a chunk of Samco blue pipe, so in answer to your question, the blue in the bolt kit should be very close :)

N

Nik_GTI-R

Has no1 ever done the Rising Sun theme style paint job??Red and white??That would look cool i think.