What have you done with your pulsar today?

Cathode

In regards to beer, much prefer Peroni, Tiger and dare I say....... Budweiser ice cold. Dont judge me!!!!!

Eng1

Budweiser!!! You have been judged and found wanting!!
Spent 5 years in Germany and tried the lot , very good beer , but nothing compares with proper draught Czech beer at 50p a pint .
So good I bought a house near Prague ,
Just next door is a pub , I remember going in but strangely never remember how I got home ,every time I go in

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Awesome news mate, glad its made its 1st trip out.

My pistons have arrived and block will be going to the shop next week for the start of its rebuild!
Glad it's moving forward Andy, hopefully yours will take less time than mine to rebuild! Let me know if you need a hand. Getting on top of house projects so should start to have more time after we meet in Sept

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Took car out yesterday after nearly a month off from other distractions and mapped fuelling up to 70mph cruise and smoothed everything from 30mph. I'm running grade 6 plugs as all it's doing is light load and the grade 8's were getting sooted up too quickly which was causing misfires which made the mapping tricky.

I'd forgotten how many rattles the car has. I'm trying to build confidence in the car after so long off the road. Will keep extending the distance, speed, load each time.

I'll have a couple more rounds of the "daily duties" map to smooth out the fuelling but already it's starting run much better. After that I'll dump the oil, change the plugs and start to look at more rev/load/boost mapping

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It's getting a bit old now but still got the Apexi PowerFC pro installed. The PowerFC connect to the Apexi boost controller which is adequate up to 1.9bar. The datalogit also connects to an AEM wideband Lambda sensor which again is adequate.

The Datalogit collects all the data at one interface which I connect to a microsoft tablet over USB. I recently treated myself to this and it's much less cumbersome to manage in car mapping than with a laptop.

The data logs are collected in the datalogit software which I export to a custom excel file which references actual AFR to target across the log and recommends adjustments. I check they make sense, copy paste to the datalogit software and download to the ECU.

Repeat a few times and incrementally the fuelling map takes shape, smoothing out any lumps and bumps.

There are more modern ECU's out there that do all this for you and have better closed loop control but would need installing and setting up so for me it's better to stick with what I have which is good enough.

Jon Olds

Got a (rally/race) car to map soon with an Omex ECU, got the initial tweeks done so it starts, ticks over, revs unloaded and warms up properly.
Next is getting some on road mapping done, so interested in anybodies recomendations regarding data logging, as above.
I'm guessing I need rpm, AFR, throttle position plus one or two more as my starting point
Jon

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Does the ECU come with a base map for the car. If the ignition map is not crazy then you can focus on tuning the AFR's though the fuel map.

Assuming you've still got the MAF sensor then load/rpm/fuel are the main indicators.

If in doubt, give the car to someone else who understands Omex. I've never used it but I'm sure it will do the job.

Jon Olds

Base map, yes, but the bottom end was quite far away, fuelling wise. Ignition wise, I can copy one of my other racers for a starting point, as VW's
don't seem quite as fussy. The intake system is all mix match, Jenvey's etc etc, so no MAF or MAP.
I wish to learn, and as a retired controls engineer should be in a reasonable position to work it all out
Jon
I have some experience, having mapped a standalone Lumenition system nearly 20 years ago, went well (on the rollers, old school way)