Water System

GTiR_Mic

Not long got my car back from my mates garage after getting the head gasket done.

Took my car to my work and decied to bleed the water system as it wasn't 100%. Got the car home and deceid to have a look under the bonnet. I noticed there was water being forced out of the radiator cap and the water hoses where rock solid.

I have hardly drove the car since I got it back and I hope the HG hasn't gone again.

There is a trace of oil in the radiator cap (there might have been some from last time) When you accelerate the water comes out the cap a lot more and also the hoses are rock hard.

Can anyhone shed some light onto this.

Mic

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Dispite the head gasket being done it still sounds like you have a head gasket leak which is pressurising the water system :doh:

GTiR_Mic

What do you think this could be down to? The head bolts not being done tight enough to the block?

The car is running like crap as well, won't idle right......dips up and down the revs.

Mic

gtirx2

Warped head maybe? did you cook the car before the head gasket went the first time,and did you get the head skimmed before the head went back on?

sumo

did u get the head checked for cracks as well. how hot is it in the car with the heater on. did u get the termostat change as well

GTiR_Mic

The head was skimmed and pressure tested before it was put back on the car. There was only a slight warp in he head when it was done.

I never change anyhting apart from the radiator cap, I was paling on chaning the thermostat and sender soon as well but goig to change it all now.

Mic

O

Odin

Sounds f*cked to me mate, Take it back to your mate to fix after all you paid him good money to do it properly in the first place :roll: :roll: :roll: .

You and your bl00dy mate's :der: .

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GTiR_Mic said:
How much is it for ARP Head Bolts?

Mic

Depends who you ask and how nicely.. :lol:

£100 - £145

Yes you never use the same bolts again. Your engineer/engine builder/mechanic/mate should have known that. School Boy Error!

You may need to replace the Head Gasket again too, as its been used to seal once already. Well i would replace it if you are taking it apart again anyway.

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

Was speaking to my mate who done the car, he said the head bolts where within tolerance when he checkind them.

Even if they are should they still be changed?

The garage isn't open again till the 8th, so it will be after then when i get to take the car back down. Ging to change the head bolts.

He did suggest that it could be a cracked block but I don't have a clue at all. Would there be anuyhting else to look for or shoudl I just forget about it till I let him see it?

Looking at a few more engines anyway for back up so we will see.

Mic

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Balls to within tollerence. They were in use for many years!

They really should be replaced..

Rishi

GTiR_Mic

You are right, the car is nearly 15 years old as well, so they have seen there day.

Im just a tad pi$$ed off with it just now as well :lol: Just want the thing to run good for a while.

Mic

MarkTurbo

I make my headbolts nearly 14 years old, they've been re-used twice and they're still doing the job of clamping an hks headgasket down at 1.5 bar boost ;-) Yes its better to change them but i was just making the point that the world isnt going to suddenly explode if you use them again........................which is what im sure some people think :lol:

Keira

MarkTurbo said:
Thats b0llocks ;-) who told you that? Ive re-used mine twice with no problems whatsoever ;-)
pssssssssst mark, whatever you do dont mention using hairspray on that HKS headgasket when you reused that :lol:

sumo

change the teromstat mate and see how u get on ur mate is right the bolts can be used again but some folk like to use new bolts. i used to check the bolts to see if they ok but after doing it and the last bolt to tighten down to snap is a pain in the ass :doh: