Various poly bushes

youngsyp

Right, the bushes finally turned up yesterday, through no fault of the retailer. It appears Royal Mail pulled their usual trick of holding things up !

Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as successfully as I'd hoped. It would appear that 2 out of the 4 bushes from the engine mount kit, won't fit. These were the ones I was hoping would fit in the front engine buffer. They may fit the rear buffer but, from what I've seen this morning, it's doubtful.
It seems as though the other two inserts in the engine mount kit, will fit though. I haven't tried them yet so, I can't confirm this. However, they do look to have everything in the right place though.
Another bonus is that it would seem all the GTiR engine mounts have the same pattern for the rubber part ?! If this is the case, these inserts should fit all three mounts.
When I get a chance, I'll confirm if they do indeed fit or not !

On a more positive note, the gearshift bush fitted a treat and took me about 15 minutes to fit, including jacking up the car, and removing the old one.
There is a distinct improvement in gear change feel and action, the only thing I can liken it too is a rifle bolt action, very direct and precise. It also changes gear more easily too and feels more positive all round.
I do have a B&M short shift kit fitted which, did improve things over the stock set up but, this bush definitely further improves things. The car certainly has the shortest and most precise gear change I have ever experience now. So, I would very much recommend the shifter bush and at around £12 or so, you certainly can't argue over value.

On a slightly separate note, I had the front engine buffer off at the weekend and filled the larger bush with silicon sealant (effectively, filling the bush, where there's no rubber). I saw this trick a long time ago, used by the US Honda guys. It gives a stiffer bush, without the downsides (NVH) of poly bushes.
When the sealant cured, it certainly made a much stiffer bush, and takes all the play out of it. When I get time, I'll do the same to all the other bushes, specifically the rear engine buffer and see if there is any tangible improvement in engine movement control.

Cheers

Paul

antgtir

A friend of mine did the same thing to his engine mounts, he filled the voids within the bush with Sikoflex which has worked a treat, some people on the forums have said that this doesn't work but obviously they haven't seen or experienced this done8)

Sounds great with the gear bush improvement, do you have any pics of this fitted now?

I may be spending a little more money this week then lol:lol:

Ant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Excellent post Paul.

Stumo made me a front engine mount from some dense rubber he had around and NVH got worse. The Silicon fill idea sounds like a good compromise.

I'll look into getting the gear box bush as well as gearbox movement is like a spoon in porridge.

Fancy a mini "group buy" Ant?

youngsyp

antgtir said:
A friend of mine did the same thing to his engine mounts, he filled the voids within the bush with Sikoflex which has worked a treat, some people on the forums have said that this doesn't work but obviously they haven't seen or experienced this done8)
If I'm honest, I can't feel any difference but, I guess you wouldn't and it's a good thing. The rear buffer large bush feels to be in the same condition (very un-rigid and loose in the bracket) as the front, pre-filling too though. So, I need to sort that ASAP.
The filled bush is probably 150% more rigid than it was pre-filled though and is now solid and doesn't move in the bracket as much. It looks like they are designed to move a bit though.
Once the silicon is cured, it's certainly much more stiff than the original rubber in the mount.
I was going to go for a set of Nismo buffers but, looking at their construction, they're no better than the OE buffers. I guess they could use stiffer rubber but, the part that counts (large bush) is still that strange shape, and not solid !

antgtir said:
Sounds great with the gear bush improvement, do you have any pics of this fitted now?
I don't have any pics mate but, the only difference you can see, is that the outer lips of the bush are shiny, instead of matte ! :)

youngsyp

campbellju said:
Excellent post Paul.

Stumo made me a front engine mount from some dense rubber he had around and NVH got worse. The Silicon fill idea sounds like a good compromise.

I'll look into getting the gear box bush as well as gearbox movement is like a spoon in porridge.

Fancy a mini "group buy" Ant?
To be honest, I could modify the poly buffer bush I bought to fit, if I had a suitable tool to trim it with. I don't though so, I'll chalk it up to experience !
I am convinced the silicon filling job, will make the OE mount work much better though !

When fitting the gearshift bush, I wasn't convinced it would make a tangible difference as, the rear mounting of the shift support, also mounts to what looks like fairly soft rubber. Of course, this is very old now so, will be even softer. However, thinking about it logically, having the hard bush up front, will prevent any longditudinal movement in the main but, will reduce lateral and up and down movement too.
Plus, I guess the guys who developed these bushes, didn't see any need to replace the rear ones otherwise, they'd have made a bush for that too ?!

One other thing, the bush that I received, was flat on the faces, not concave, like the OE one. It fitted fine though and the orignal large dished washer and bracket fit flush to it.

I know Steve ordered the bush specced for the 1995 Sentra, that looked to have concaved faces in the pic. I wondered if it had turned up yet an if you'd fitted it Steve ?

I think a group buy on these things is a great idea, especially with the exchange rate being as it is. You could offset the postage costs with 5 items I'd expect. If people wanted me to, I could organise it ?!

CanadianR

8 bucks shipped to my door for the shifter stabilizer from a local parts place. Do you want me to help organize anything? (I can also get a deal on Fedex shipping since a friend's mom is a flight attendant with Air Canada here. I think its 25% of retail for shipping anywhere in the world.:thumbsup:

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
8 bucks shipped to my door for the shifter stabilizer from a local parts place. Do you want me to help organize anything? (I can also get a deal on Fedex shipping since a friend's mom is a flight attendant with Air Canada here. I think its 25% of retail for shipping anywhere in the world.:thumbsup:
Jeddeh, it would seem that you can get a better deal than I would be able to, with your Air Canada contact.

I'm just thinking, would it be better to bulk ship them to me, and I post them out from the UK.

I could then organise numbers, get the buyers to send payment to you (via Paypal?!). You buy the parts, get the shipped to you and then shipped in bulk, via Fedex, to me.
How does that sound ? PM me if that's better for you !

If that's OK with you, I'll get on to Robby boy (Odin) and ask his permission to put the group buy up !

Cheers

Paul

P.s. Is that $8 USD or $8 CND to your door ?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for offering gents. I would have bought one of these things when you first mentioned it Paul as they have been known to be a good thing for a while but hard to find. I've just been doing other stuff. Considering how much they cost its a no brainer for me as delivery is more.

CanadianR

Please, call me Jesse. Jeddeh was a high school nickname that I use for online accounts.

Sounds good, and the store told me it would be $8 CDN. Now ordering a bulk shipment may give a bit better price as well.

And your plan sounds excellent. Remember, I only have a price on the shifter linkage bushing, not the engine mount ones. Once confirmed that some of them (or all) will fit, then I can also get these.

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
Please, call me Jesse. Jeddeh was a high school nickname that I use for online accounts.

Sounds good, and the store told me it would be $8 CDN. Now ordering a bulk shipment may give a bit better price as well.

And your plan sounds excellent. Remember, I only have a price on the shifter linkage bushing, not the engine mount ones. Once confirmed that some of them (or all) will fit, then I can also get these.
Jesse,
That sounds good. I'll get on to Rob and see if we can get this started !

I'm not sure if you've seen the bushes but, they come packages in cardboard boxes. Although the shifter bush is in a small box, I thought removing them from the boxes and just sending them all in their sealed plastic bags, in a large 'Jiffy' bag or similar, might reduce shipping packaging size and therefore cost ?!

This would certanly reduce shipping costs once they got to me !

If we have a starting figure of 10, could you estimate the shipping to the UK ?

I guess we'd be looking at around 10 working days for delivery ? As a rough guess ?!

As for the other bushes, I can confirm that 2 out of the 4 bushes for engine kit 1 (for a 1994 Sentra) don't fit. And looking at the engine kit 2 bushes, I wouldn't expect them to fit either. There isn't enough bushed in the rear suspension/trailing arm kit to do a complete job on the Pulsar and there are a few with odd shapes in there too so, I'd expect them not to fit either. The steering rack kit again, is missing some parts to do a complete job and the shape doesn't look right for the main bush either.
The ARB bush sets would fit though, providing you get the ARB diameter right. I believe it's 27mm for the front and 18mm for the rear on the GTiR ?!

Another thing about the shifter bush. I said in a previous mail that it wasn't concave on the bush faces...... this doesn't matter as, not only does it all fit flush, once fitted correctly but, the metal insert is not as wide as the bush is. So, when you tighten the fixing nut, the bush compresses down to become a very snug fit. I guess this helps with movement elimination.

Paul

Last edited:

CanadianR

whats an ARB? Anti Roll Bar? if so, I may get some buishings for my car since I think mine may be worn out. I will double check when I get some time to order and install them.

as for the engine mounts, I wonder if the b13 nx 2000 would take the bushings? the north american NX 2000 came with the sr20de, I could check here in NA to see if they fit with any of their many gtir motor swaps.

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
whats an ARB? Anti Roll Bar? if so, I may get some buishings for my car since I think mine may be worn out. I will double check when I get some time to order and install them.

as for the engine mounts, I wonder if the b13 nx 2000 would take the bushings? the north american NX 2000 came with the sr20de, I could check here in NA to see if they fit with any of their many gtir motor swaps.
That's right mate, ARB does mean anti roll bar !

As for the B13 NX 2000 bushes, from what I've seen, they're the same as the Sentra, with the SR20DE fitted, as well as the Sunny/Pulsar GTi. Please feel free to check though, and confirm either way !

CanadianR

I cant find ones for the GTiR on energy's site for the ARB's. maybe it's the fact that it is 4:30 am here and I'm still awake?:doh:

otherwise, does anybody know what the part # is?

and yes I have posted some threads on the sr20 forum asking the owners of GTiR motor swaps what bushings they are using if they've replaced any of them.

I also read on the modifiers club of a guy making his own urethane bushings that were alot stiffer than the OEM ones!:)

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
I cant find ones for the GTiR on energy's site for the ARB's. maybe it's the fact that it is 4:30 am here and I'm still awake?:doh:

otherwise, does anybody know what the part # is?

and yes I have posted some threads on the sr20 forum asking the owners of GTiR motor swaps what bushings they are using if they've replaced any of them.

I also read on the modifiers club of a guy making his own urethane bushings that were alot stiffer than the OEM ones!:)
The Sentra ARB bushes should fit the GTiR, you just need to get the bushes for the correct size ARB. It looks like you need bushes for a 28mm bar at the front, and 15mm at the rear, according to Whiteline !

I just had another look and the 7.1113 kit may fit the GTiR ?! Afterall, the subframe lock kit for the SX200 and SX240 fit the GTiR !

CanadianR

Ok, a little update here. I just got off the phone with a different supplier, and supposedly he can get his shift stabiliser bushing(s) (part number 7.1109) for $3.82 US. Also I asked him about the sentra/nx rear sway bar bushings and confirmed the part #'s on energy's site for 28mm front and 15 mm rear bars. The part numbers for those are listed as 7.5115 ($13.45 US)for the front and 7.5116 ($24.99 US) for the rear. They can be ordered red or black, with no difference in cost. Also, the prices listed are their retail prices in US dollars, I forgot to ask what #'s he needs for group buy prices. :doh:

as for shipping, he would jam them all into one box and ship them up to me, and then I'd ship them out to you guys in the UK. This supplier is cheaper than my local one as well, but it will depend on shipping costs. The guy I talked to wanted a number estimate of how many people want which kits, and then he could get me a shipping price.

I think that's all for now currently. I may order the front and rear sway bar bushings myself to see if they fit before getting a whole lot of them ordered! I'm going to be away for the weekend, but Paul if you want to organise anything with Odin in regards to a group buy, that's fine with me!

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

just read this post, very interesting!
only one thing that concerns me with stiffer box mounts is: will this in time cause more stress on the box as it is being held more rigid???
at least at the moment there is some movement which will in turn remove some of the stresses from that poor outer casing, if its held rigid then surely its going to be more inclined to break!