Tracking, alignment, camber, castor, etc

warringtonjack

As prev mentioned, my R recently failed its MOT cos of excessively worn inside toes on the front tyres. Replaced tyres, but never got the alignment sorted.

Took it to have the alignment lazer-checked and sorted, but the results were both -0.5. Which is near enough spot on, right??

The car judders at between 30 and 40mph, so something is definitely not right :( ! Although the car hasn't been lowered, is it possible that the tyres have been cambered in?? :?: Any other ideas where the problem may lie?? :?: :idea:

Any help much appreciated! :wink:

warringtonjack

Hmmm, didnt see them put the tyres on, but was expecting that to have been done. Will go check and find out now. That wouldnt explain the inner toes wearing tho would it??

LeeSmith

mine judders at 60+ mph, i have had the balancing done twice and also the tracking, at two different garages, two different readings come out and the problem is still there.

next on the list is the 4wheel alignment

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Could also be Worn or damaged suspension compnents.

Replaced my ball joints recently as there was no stiffness in them.

Worn suspension can cause tyre wear when moving etc

antgtir

Like uncle winnet says, the juddering is most likely from the balancing of the tyres especially if you are able to drive thro it i.e. it doesn't happen below or above the 30-40 mark.

The wearing sounds like the same prob i have with mine. Ive done the alignment with the 4 wheel alignment and set it up spot on every time (myself) but this still does not prevent the wear on the inside edge of my front tyres which leads me to believe that it is to do with the camber of the wheels. I have not been able to get this checked out so couldn't tell you whether that is what the prob is but i would prob go for that. If there is any wear in the suspension there would be other problems occuring i would say so the camber is prob the most likely.

If you've just had the mot to then i would say the suspension is ok unless of course you had a dodgy mot lol. You could always have a look for leaks yourself and do the standard bounce test to be on the safe side.

If these are not the probs then i would start looking at bushes etc, start from the cheapest option and go from there, thats what i always do that way it saves alot of money and heart ache when you find the prob. :D :wink: