This should keep me busy in the garage over the winter

MarkTurbo

Been a lack of progress lately due to having a lot on at work but I picked my wastegates up today. Slightly 2nd hand but I know they've only been used for a few races before being changed so they'll do for my car.

20210211_211936_resized.jpg

MarkTurbo

Still haven't done anything but the collection of bits is getting bigger :tearsofjoy:

The head flange turned up today along with some weld elbows, tube and flex joints for the wastegate outlets to the downpipe. And some new taller axle stands so I can get it up at a decent height off the ground.

Just need work to get quieter now :praying:

20210309_210712_resized.jpg

MarkTurbo

More progress :eek: Making the most of work getting a bit quieter to do a few modifications!

Making stubs of pipe that fit into the head flange and welded on both sides is the way to do it apparently so that's what I've done. There's going to be a fair bit of weight hanging off the manifold so hopefully this will stop it cracking.

20210318_080411_resized.jpg
20210318_110401_resized.jpg

MarkTurbo

You repaired the van yet Mark.
Sssshhhhhh :tearsofjoy:

It was actually hardly anything when I had a proper look the next day, just broke the corner trim for the bumper. Got a mate that works in Ford's parts dept so its not a problem. Still waiting for it though!

Good to meet you the other day :thumbsup:

MarkTurbo

I managed to find some inspiration today and get the car out the garage for possibly the last time for a while, give it a quick wash off and get it up on stands ready to pull it apart!

Work depending I'm hoping to crack on and get it sorted this year :eek:

20220102_234051_resized.jpg

MarkTurbo

I've had the suspension and turbo over a year now and done almost nothing with them :blush: I have been working on a lot of cars way better than an old Nissan Sunny in that time though :)

I've done the initial hard bit which was sorting out the garage, getting it up on stands and wheels off so I'm committed now!

The 4 nuts on the rear subframe are currently being soaked in wd40 every day and I'm planning on getting the old turbo and manifold off over the weekend ;)

MarkTurbo

Only a couple of days, 3 of them came loose easily and the other one needed gently turning back and forward a few times.

I was expecting them to put up more of a fight than that and needing to resort to heating them!

MarkTurbo

Should be getting plenty done over the next few days as my daughter tested positive for covid last night!

Got the rear subframe nearly ready to come off, I almost forgot to drain the rear diff so hoping I haven't forgotten anything else!

MarkTurbo

Had a slight set back as I've caught covid :tearsofjoy:

Tested positive Monday morning but after a day or so of a headache, achy body and no energy I think I've shaken it off now! Hopefully be able to get back on with the car soon ;)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Seems pretty mild now.

I had Delta in early Dec, the loss of smell and taste was the most annoying thing about it.

MarkTurbo

I had it right back in May 2020 with no symptoms, only found out afterwards because my body had a weird immune reaction to something which needed a trip to the docs!

At least its shut everybody up that kept telling me to get vaccinated, I've probably had less effects from 2 lots of covid than they've all have had from one of their jabs :p

I've already been out working on the car again :cool:

MarkTurbo

I've made more progress while having covid than I've made in years!!

Test fitted one of the new dampers yesterday then finished dropping the subframe off. It all looks pretty crusty but everything came undone quite easily, will have to get it stripped down then blasted and painted.

20220201_233054.jpg20220201_233028.jpg