This should keep me busy in the garage over the winter

MarkTurbo

Pure evil, that kind of power must be savage in a Pulsar weighing just over a ton. A lot of fun though I'd imagine.
It felt pretty savage running 400 odd horsepower on a 3071 so looking forward to getting it up and running with the Borg Warner.

Did a quick comparison earlier and apart from the bov bulge on the Borg Warner the compressor housing is definitely smaller than my old GT3071.

20201205_215239_resized.jpg

Cathode

So what does that mean? Smaller housing = faster spool / less lag? genuine question as I'm not too clued up on the complexities of turbos. If that is what it means I assume you're also getting the extra power on top of that too? Best of both worlds with the Borg?

MarkTurbo

It'll be 304 as I'm going to be a lazy cheat and buy one of the cast merge collectors to save me hours of cutting up tubes! Hopefully I'll have most of the manifold parts within the next week so I can get to work on it over Xmas and new year.

So what does that mean? Smaller housing = faster spool / less lag? genuine question as I'm not too clued up on the complexities of turbos.
Not always! I found a good article the other day which explains things better than I ever could as this stuff still makes my head hurt sometimes o_O I'll try and find it tomorrow.

Comparing the Borg Warner with my old GT3071, all turbo's will flow a certain amount of air. The Borg Warner will flow 64 lbs/min vs 46 lbs/min for the 3071, the compressor wheel on the Borg Warner is 76mm vs 71mm on the 3071. So although the Borg Warner is a bit more compact than the 3071 the compressor wheel is bigger and it will flow a lot more air.

zia

Ohh this mans got all toys :) bet you didn't pay retail price for them :),they spec'ed up for road or rally?

Zia

MarkTurbo

Jon, this isn't the what have you done to your car today topic so bugger off :p :tearsofjoy:

Ohh this mans got all toys :) bet you didn't pay retail price for them :),they spec'ed up for road or rally?
I was originally just going to get a set of single way Intrax RSA dampers, then these came up and i thought sod it stuff like this dosen't come up very often! They are basically new but just need a service as they've been sat around for a few years.

They are rally spec with 300lb springs front & rear which equates to 5.3kg, should be ok for the track but possibly a bit on the stiff side for road use.

Cathode

How’s this coming along? Or is it? Has Christmas got in the way ? It has for me. Too many beers in the afternoon and sausage rolls. Falling asleep on the sofa while my son tries to push micro machines in my ear. Such a rude awakening.

MarkTurbo

Has Christmas got in the way ?
Basically yes :tearsofjoy: Spent most of it putting together my daughter's Xmas presents!

Been trying to decide what order to do things in too as I think after digging around with a screwdriver the passenger side sill needs just cutting right out and doing properly. I'll get my mate to do that last I think as his workshop is next to an mot tester so it can go straight there when it's done. I'm fine with small bits of welding but he'll make a much better job of it than I ever would!!

I'll get the turbo position mocked up first, then get the engine out to finish the manifold and tidy up the engine bay. Whilst the engine is out the rear subframe can come off and change all the bushes etc. While all that lot is off I can sort out any small bits of rust then chuck it all back together.

Makes it sound so easy :tearsofjoy:

Cathode

God! I've already been there and done that and maybe you have too on another occasion so, we both know that nothing goes according to Plan. Or goes smoothly. Or is straight forward. Or takes as long as you thought. Or... I'll shut up and wish you the very best of luck.

MarkTurbo

It wasn't a major surprise, that bit can just wait until last and I'll get on with other stuff.

I'm sure I'll find some other surprises too once I start pulling bits apart :D

MarkTurbo

The rear subframe is coming off to do all the bushes and get painted so might as well do the fuel tank too while I'm at it. Forgot about all those hidden rubber hoses on the fuel tank, they must be perished by now!!

Not much more progress yet, although the merge collector for the manifold turned up today so I'll get on with doing the manifold soon.

20210115_223145_resized.jpg