starter motor

Sam_M

I think my starter motor is definately starting to show signs of dying, now I read somewhere there the majority of the time its just the brushes that need changing. Would it be unnessecary to buy a brand you starter motor for silly money or is it worth trying to recon a second hand one?

Thanks
Sam

P

pulsarboby

it could be the windings, brushes or commutator thats faulty!
you wont know till you strip it5 down, if its turning over slowly and batteries 100% ok then its whats known as a lazy starter, this is normally caused by a breakdown in the inner and outer windings, but could be anything really.

i sell good s/h ones for £35 dont know how much new ones are or recon units, so it depends on how much you want to spend!

GTi-R23

Mine is as the above, battery is 100% (Brand new) but it still turns over really slow and just about fires up at very low cranking speed.

As it's my secnd car, I was gonna have a go at stripping it down and trying to service it myself, but if it's not just the brushes, then I reckon a new unit is on the cards.

P

pulsarboby

nine times out of ten, its just a dirty commutator (copper bit that brushes run on) take it out and clean it with sandpaper NOT EMERY PAPER or anything that contains metal particles! while its stripped clean the inner and outer windings with meths or similar.
also check the bearing to make sure thats ok, if theres any movement the windings can short out, as it will be running untrue and off centre.
if brushes are ok just clean the face of them then re-assemble it and run the starter up clamped in a vice direct to battery (it should have a bit of a kick to it when it spools into life. if all seems ok then just refit it

GTi-R23

Cheers for the advice, I used to race RC cars when I was a nipper, so know all about commutators, brushes and bearings!

How easy do they come apart once off the car? I took a rear wiper motor apart the other day (off a Punto) and that had metal tabs than simply bend upwards to release the brush assembly, didn't seem the best idea, but then again, it is a fiat.

P

pulsarboby

there a doddle, same as many other pre-engaged starter motors
soon as you have it in your hand, you will see how to dismantle it.

GTi-R23

Nice one, cheers, I can't wait to get it in my hand....

That'll be a job for next weekend, gotta rectify all the Puntos faults to get it through it's MOT this weekend :doh: I hate Italian cars!

Take it easy.

Sam_M

Well initially I thought it was an earth problem as the symtoms only happend now and again, the car would just click like a machine gun (symtoms of low battery) but eventually just turn over and start, its never not started, as far as I can see the earthing is fine, and I put a brand new battery on a while ago which actually makes it turn over a bit faster, but it still does this problem of sometimes clicking before starting. I cant see what else it can be if earthing and battery are fine. (animaldaz) on here said to check the earthing, otherwise it could be starter. Pain in the ****. Not looking forward to having to change that!!!. I cant really complain tho, the car has been absolutely brilliant and I use it as an everyday car.

GTi-R23

Removing it isn't too big of a job compared to some, alot easier if the 'Y' bracket has already been removed (It seems to serve no purpose other than making life difficult for people)

Yours sounds like it'd be ok with a service, sticking solenoid perhaps?

andytb

starter

i picked up a recon starter motor for £89.oo exchanging the old one to ,not to bad a job to fit try a search on here for removal ! enjoy:)

P

pulsarboby

Sam_M said:
Well initially I thought it was an earth problem as the symtoms only happend now and again, the car would just click like a machine gun (symtoms of low battery) but eventually just turn over and start, its never not started, as far as I can see the earthing is fine, and I put a brand new battery on a while ago which actually makes it turn over a bit faster, but it still does this problem of sometimes clicking before starting. I cant see what else it can be if earthing and battery are fine. (animaldaz) on here said to check the earthing, otherwise it could be starter. Pain in the ****. Not looking forward to having to change that!!!. I cant really complain tho, the car has been absolutely brilliant and I use it as an everyday car.
it wont be the actual starter motor, it will be the contacts on the solenoid that need cleaning or they maybe burnt out, these are not so easy to get at as you have to dismantle the front of the solenoid to get to the contacts which involves a bit of soldering to reassemble.