Starter motor won't turn

LOU ROB

Jumped in the car tonight ready to give it a good blast.
Turned the key and the engine wouldn't turn :?
All the lights came on, wipers worked so battery is o.k.
Could it be a fucked starter motor :?:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you just getting a click click click? It could be faulty or just sticking abit.
Just try bump starting it and hope that it doesn't need replacing as allegedly it's an engine out job :shock:
Mine did that once about 2 years ago now, I just bumped it as I was on a hilll and it's been ok ever since 8)

LOU ROB

I bumped it to get it going.Got to tescos to do my shopping ,turned the key again,NOTHING.
I hope its not an engine out, it's only been in a few months.
Is there anything I could look for, e.g loose wiring ,and where do I look :?:

Embarrasing when you have to push the car to get it going when the place is busy.

J

John Mc

Hello Mate,

Is your alternator OK?

This happened to mine when the alternator packed up. Your battery will still have enough charge to run the lights etc. But when you try to start the car it needs more current. If you've got a multimeter put it across the battery terminals and get a mate to try to start the engine, if the voltage drops considerably your battery isn't charged properly.

Could be a dodgy battery too!

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
LOU ROB said:
I bumped it to get it going.Got to tescos to do my shopping ,turned the key again,NOTHING.
In that case have a check around the battery/alternator and starter motor if you can find it,, for loose or broken wires/termials/plugs come off.
Test the battery with a meter too (hygrometer thingy?) just to be sure. Like John says it could still be a duff battery.

A

Anonymous

Send it to and auto electrician, my GF's 77 corolla had the same problem. It was just wiring shorting out. I replaced the starter first thinking it was the culprit for sure (DOH). I know its different cars and all, but I hope that all it is for you :!: :D

LOU ROB

Had a quick look,and i've narrowed it down to starter motor or loose wiring at the motor.Have another play tomorrow. :(

A

Anonymous

Definately starter motor

Apparently you can get to them from under the car, don't ask me how though. But you would definately need a hoist.

To change mine i took the throttle bodies off and that stupid y bracket.
Took about three hours to get it out, but most of that was making tools to fit.
Now that i know how to do it, its not that hard. If you have the patience

L

Little Miss Road Rage

My starter did exactly the same on tuesday and has started ever since we wriggled the wires so i must have a bad contact somewhere so now i've got a brand new starter on the shelf.

topcat

nissan have a bulletin on how to change the starter, i will get a copy tommorow at work..

but normaly when the starter clicks , is due to battery flat. are u sure its charged? also check if the alternator is charging..

Cheers Dunc.

A

antilag

yer lou i recons its ya starter motor dp take 2 hours to change them from memory :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

pmsl wakey wakey people

LOU ROB

antilag said:
yer lou i recons its ya starter motor dp take 2 hours to change them from memory :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

pmsl wakey wakey people
Had a few beers tonight :?: .
Or is it you'r puny high 11'sec car,gobshit :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

antilag said:

pmsl wakey wakey people
Yeah there a bit slow on hear :roll: :lol: .

rob

A

antilag

yeh lou is also slow :roll: as i was tking the pi$$ out of the guys replying trying to help u with your problem even tho a few posts b4 u stated the cars fixed :wink: