STARTER HAVING A FUNNY TURN

T

tombola

JUST LATELY MY STATER MOTOR HAS BEEN CRANKING OVER REAL SLOW
AND TODAY AFTER A SHORT DRIVE WENT TO START AND NOTHING HAPPENED IT WAS LIKE THE IMMOBILSER WAS ON
SO I KEPT TRYING EVERY 5 MINS AND IT EVENTUALLY FIRED UP
GOT IT HOME AND UP THE DRIVE SAFELY THEN SWITCHED IT OFF
AND THEN STARTED IT BACK UP ,REAL SLOW CRANKING AND IT STARTED ,REPEATED THIS 3 OR 4 TIMES AND THEN IT WENT BACK TO NORMAL FAST CRANKING OVER ON THE 5 AN 6TH ATTEMPT

CHECKED ITS EARTHED PROPER AND THE BATTERY IS A BIG UN LESS THAN A YEAR OLD

ANY IDEAS

E

ExoDet

My bluebird (4wd sr20det) started doing this and it was stuffed brushes in the starter motor, which just happen to crap out right before christmas so all the garages were shut!! :evil:

You can try giving it a wack (well more like a poke) with heavy metal rod (as you can't get a hammer at it) from under the car, between the transfer and the block. This knocks the brushes around a bit and will fix it for a short time.

Get it sorted asap as eventually it will not start at all and you will have to crash start it or be stranded.

It's an absolute b#%ch to get out as well due to the transfer case being in the way.
Let me know if you want some advice on how to get it out.

T

tombola

still starting real slow but only the first time from cold after that its perfect
had a look underneath today could not see a thing ?
what do you have to do to get at it or even see it
ive managed to change debt :wink: sensor before so i should be capable of changing starter motor ? shouldnt i ?
any pics of backside of engine would be great or a how to

O

Olly

ExoDet said:
It's an absolute b#%ch to get out as well due to the transfer case being in the way.
Let me know if you want some advice on how to get it out.
easy with the right tools, take the y piece bracket (back of inlet manifold suport) unbolt it and hang it out the way, then unbolt the motor pull it out, and fit your new one refit bracket done. 8)

antgtir

To investigate whether or not its the battery then i would just take it into your local ATS etc to carry out a drop test. This drop test is the equivelant to turning your engine over so if it is the battery it should do the same thing.

For an alternator test id just place a digi volt meter on the battery and if the charge is 14v ish then its ok.

To be honest if its working sometimes then not others then it does sound a bit like the starter motor going, bushes etc may be on the way out.

Im prob going to take mine out and give the spring a bit of a grease and get the sh1t out of there so its free to move easy, never done this before on the R but it will be worth it im sure even if its a pain in the arse :D