stainless turbo elbow

turbodaily

adam im ganna go for a non screamer mate as ive had one before,not keen on the noise, makes the car sound like a vtec on throttle bodies (best way to describe it)

ashills

turbodaily said:
strange, when i fitted one to my evo 3 it made no difference to noise on idle.

it wont on an evo as it has a dividing wall built into the exhaust housing so u get a total seal with the gtir u have to have the sealing piece on the elbow flange and this can cause issues if u have a 3071 etc as the wheel in the exhaust housing is a lot bigger and could catch on divider

youngsyp

nismo-400R said:
if it does ill have one with screamer
You need to read the rest of the thread !!

If you have a standard T28, a screamer pipe will not work as it's supposed to. The reason for this is that within the turbo's exhaust housing, there is no divider between the turbine wheel and wastegate. Therefore, you will not get a good seal between the two, when fitting a divided elbow, with screamer pipe. This will mean that the screamer pipe is venting exhaust gas under all conditions, not just when the wastegate is open, as intended.

As has been posted above, it will sound shite and probably do nothing for performance.

So, in closing, it will fit but, not work as it's intended too.

I'd stick with a non screamer elbow !

Just to add to Ashill's comments, the Evo's elbow to turbo gasket is what seals the turbine wheel and wastegate divide, as the gasket is specifically shaped to do this.

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
If you have a standard T28, a screamer pipe will not work as it's supposed to. The reason for this is that within the turbo's exhaust housing, there is no divider between the turbine wheel and wastegate
Ive got an elbow which vents the wastegate side to atmosphere and i had to incorporate a divider into it which took a lot of p1ssing about with to get right. Even then it still leaked a small amount of exhaust gas from wastegate pipe when the car was idling and made it sound like i had a blowing exhaust :doh: Ive modified it now though ;-)

nismo-400R

Braveheart said:
You can put me down for one of these...

1,JPward- Elbow& front pipe - Screamer
2,Adam L - Elbow & Front pipe - Screamer
3,turbodaily - elbow @ front pipe - screamer
4,Adamski- Elbow & Front pipe- Screamer
5,rossdj- elbow and front pipe no screamer
6,Braveheart- Elbow & Front pipe- Screamer
7,nismo-400r-Elbow & front pipe- screamer paid

Last edited:

Adam L

jpward said:
You dont have to get the screamer version you know its just a free option!!!!!

i know this, i still want the part but minus the screamer, my exhaust is loud enough without a screamer pipe and the wastegate gases venting off isn't going to give me any satisfaction through my ear drums nor performance, in my opinion (it's going to be so minimul it's not worth the agro i already have on the motorway)

i'll amend what i initially wanted

J

jpward

Adam L said:
i know this, i still want the part but minus the screamer, my exhaust is loud enough without a screamer pipe and the wastegate gases venting off isn't going to give me any satisfaction through my ear drums nor performance, in my opinion (it's going to be so minimul it's not worth the agro i already have on the motorway)

i'll amend what i initially wanted
This debate has got even me thinking now? :?

Adam L

ok, for some reason i'm unable to edit the last ''order'' post, but i did put in a non screamer on the first one.

Adam L

ok, you're going to vent off the wastegate gasses as you come on boost, the noise is just overpowering and it sounds stupid. You've got a choice, create more back pressure in your exhaust or less, i'd rather more because it's too loud already and all it's doing is dumping the wasted gas to atmo

not to mention you won't notice the difference and as stated you'd want to use the screamer on a larger than std turbo, it would probably be more ideal on a T3 housing than an .86 T2/T25 3071

Last edited:

Adam L

ashills said:
it wont on an evo as it has a dividing wall built into the exhaust housing so u get a total seal with the gtir u have to have the sealing piece on the elbow flange and this can cause issues if u have a 3071 etc as the wheel in the exhaust housing is a lot bigger and could catch on divider
the best answer to that is, because Mitsubishi designed their turbo's far better than Garrett did;-)

stumo

Ooooo, someone mentions a screamer pipe and all the little weenies drop their panties and start jerking off............

Adam L

marcymarc said:
Hes got a bad attitude mate and he needs to sort it out.
i'm not worried about attitude problems, infact, i'm not worried about anything, as i know exactly what a screamer pipe entails...

would i honestly have my finger hanging out of my pants if i had something serious on my mind:-D

MarkTurbo

On a standard sized T28 i agree that it probably wont make a huge amount of difference but getting rid of the exhaust gas to atmosphere from the wastegate side of the turbo has got to be better than trying to force it through 6 feet + of tubing and silencers! The less backpressure the better ;-)

turbodaily

a screamer pipe does NOTHING for performance, its purely for the noise (which isnt the best) it is very loud and good if you want the extra attention, however like adam im running a 5zigen exhaust which is just about bearable,any more noise and i think my head would explode! (my r is my daily driver)

J

jpward

Email back from Andy and he knows only to well about sealing problems which is why all his Elbows come with a sealing tube/ring that can be seen in the photo!

turbodaily

have we got enough people to get the ball rolling on this now then? would like to get it asap as my r's getting mapped 5th june so need it before then really...