stainless turbo elbow

nitrosgti-r

Jpward, if you get this group buy going im deffo0 up for it but if youngsyp comes up trumps then these guys sound good too

:D

nickr

jpward said:
Following on from this i was speaking to am-performance about elbows and front pipes with just a casual chat he can offer 3" elbows and/or 3" front pipes also option of screamer

Inital pricing has came back at £160 +P for both or £117 +P for just the J pipe based on 3-5 purchases which i thought was good,

So would anyone be interested as i might start a group buy? :thumbsup:
This is my elbow and pipe. I had this made a few months ago and is sitting in my basement. It will not fit with A/C, however its a nice piece of work.

I'm going to have it modified by a friend to fit with a/c.

J

jpward

nickr said:
This is my elbow and pipe. I had this made a few months ago and is sitting in my basement. It will not fit with A/C, however its a nice piece of work.

I'm going to have it modified by a friend to fit with a/c.
Ermm you sure it was made specially for you? :der:

CanadianR

What are you paying for exactly for the pipe? My muffler shop quoted me $500 canadian to fab up a 3" turbo back exhaust on my car. The exhaust they are talking about would be mild steel, not stainless. Is the stainless option the really only cost maker?

J

jpward

Jeddeh said:
What are you paying for exactly for the pipe? My muffler shop quoted me $500 canadian to fab up a 3" turbo back exhaust on my car. The exhaust they are talking about would be mild steel, not stainless. Is the stainless option the really only cost maker?
Hello Canuck buddy If i were you i would only get a SS one made and 304 grade would be ok but welded using 316 grade rods due to heavy weather fluctuations. Also you should ask about mandrel bends or weld bends as these produce better flow than mitres and purge welded so less slag on the inside.

Sounds very technical i know but it isnt really, a SS pipe is a finished answer id never again on any car bike or 4 wheeler spend money on mild steel!

nickr

jpward said:
Ermm you sure it was made specially for you? :der:
i don't know why you wouldn't believe me, if u want i can take photos for u kuz its that exact pipe in that photo from am-perf down in australia.

i had asked for it to be made to fit a/c however i guess it was miscommunicated in the many emails that went back n forth.

nevertheless it was a good deal, i'm just choosing to not remove the a/c and would rather have the pipe modified to fit

i still have the emails and the original pictures andrew from am-perf sent to me

J

jpward

nickr said:
i don't know why you wouldn't believe me, if u want i can take photos for u kuz its that exact pipe in that photo from am-perf down in australia.

i had asked for it to be made to fit a/c however i guess it was miscommunicated in the many emails that went back n forth.

nevertheless it was a good deal, i'm just choosing to not remove the a/c and would rather have the pipe modified to fit

i still have the emails and the original pictures andrew from am-perf sent to me
Well according to Andy this was developed years ago maybe spinning porkies ohh and i never disputed that you have one!

Latest on this is Delivery of J pipe £23 and both at £40 so looking good!

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

Right, got a preliminary price back from Hayward & Scott. As expected, it's not quite as good as the price JPWard has on his.

They want £300 + vat (£352.50) and that's for a minimum of 5 people buying. I'm not sure if that includes shipping or, if they need the car at their premises for fitment and fine tuning etc... But, I have mailed them back to find out.

To be completely honest with you, I'm a little disappointed with their response. For a start, they didn't answer all my questions and, I think the price is pretty poor. I can understand why they charged me so much as, it was the first one they had done and so, was truely bespoke. However, now they have the jig, they should be able to knock them up very quickly and as they do all the flange cutting and fabrication in house, costs should be quite low. I was expecting £300 inclusive as a maximum group buy figure, with their actual figure as the sort of maximum price for a 1 off job.

Hey ho, let's hope JPWard's supplier comes up trumps.

Just for info, the H&S pipes would be made for cars with A/C, as that's the jig they have from my car.

O

Odin

Hayward & Scott have been reading their own press a bit to much mate, they live on cloud cuckoo land as far as prices go :roll: :evil: , Just let them stick to the normal rich stupid clientele :roll:

Was that £350 just for an elbow ? :shock:.

Rob

J

jpward

Odin said:
Hayward & Scott have been reading their own press a bit to much mate, they live on cloud cuckoo land as far as prices go :roll: :evil: , Just let them stick to the normal rich stupid clientele :roll:

Was that £350 just for an elbow ? :shock:.

Rob
No he was pricing the front pipe also errrm well i hope he was :shock:

:lol:

youngsyp

jpward said:
No he was pricing the front pipe also errrm well i hope he was :shock:

:lol:
Yep, that's right. The price was for the elbow and downpipe, with flexi up to the front of the cat/decat pipe.

I think I agree with Rob on this one, they obviously don't need the custom if they come up with those sort of prices.
I will disagree with the rich stupid clientele bit though as, I've had 2 exhausts made by them in the past. Plus, I'm a GTiR owner, how could I be rich ?! :)

Adam L

jpward said:
Following on from this i was speaking to am-performance about elbows and front pipes with just a casual chat he can offer 3" elbows and/or 3" front pipes also option of screamer

Inital pricing has came back at £160 +P for both or £117 +P for just the J pipe based on 3-5 purchases which i thought was good,

So would anyone be interested as i might start a group buy? :thumbsup:
i'd be interested in one of these.

J

jpward

Ok interested kids follow me........

Name - Which you want- screamer or non

Ta

1,JPward- Elbow& front pipe - Screamer

nitrosgti-r

jpward said:
Hello Canuck buddy If i were you i would only get a SS one made and 304 grade would be ok but welded using 316 grade rods due to heavy weather fluctuations. Also you should ask about mandrel bends or weld bends as these produce better flow than mitres and purge welded so less slag on the inside.

Sounds very technical i know but it isnt really, a SS pipe is a finished answer id never again on any car bike or 4 wheeler spend money on mild steel!
Why not spend money on mild steel mate? Surley you (i) could set the ginder to clean up any rough edges and with a coat of exhaust paint, i would assume this to be ok?

I was a welder for 6 years but that was a long time ago now and so have been out of the game and out of experience but i was going to weld the ss flange to a mild steel 3" pipe. i know the metal properties are different but it will take and i wouldnt have thought it would be too week. what do you think on this?

Adam L

jpward said:

Ta

2,Adam L - Elbow & Front pipe - No screamer
a mate of mine may also be interested

Last edited:
J

jpward

nitrosgti-r said:
Why not spend money on mild steel mate? Surley you (i) could set the ginder to clean up any rough edges and with a coat of exhaust paint, i would assume this to be ok?

I was a welder for 6 years but that was a long time ago now and so have been out of the game and out of experience but i was going to weld the ss flange to a mild steel 3" pipe. i know the metal properties are different but it will take and i wouldnt have thought it would be too week. what do you think on this?
You can weld mild to 304 with 316 rods but the problem is that when the mild exhaust heats up and it will a lot more with a non standard R paint even many layers of high heat stuff wont prevent it from degrading i know this first hand as i tried this before i got the goose and about a year or so and it was paper thin from about a 1.6mm wall tube. Then again i do live in the country so floods and muck on the road are common place.

But with installing the goose complete with SS bolts (can you tell i've a fetish for stainless :oops: ) ive never looked at it been on for near 3 years. So if i had of just not been so tight and bought the goose first time around i would not have wasted money on pipework.

I think i also read somewhere that the inner walls of stainless remain smooth causing less turbulance over time which is the main reason most sports exhausts are made from 304 I'll see if i can find it........... TBC ;-)

turbodaily

im up for one of these, whats the turn around on them?

Originally Posted by jpward

Ta

2,Adam L - Elbow & Front pipe - Screamer
3,turbodaily - elbow @ front pipe - no screamer

Last edited:
O

Odin

Mind you H&S are still cheaper than the £411 I paid for the bl00dy Janspeed front pipe :doh: :shock: :shock: .

But still if they already have a jig they should come in a lot cheaper than that :? .

Rob

J

jpward

turbodaily said:
im up for one of these, whats the turn around on them?
7-10 days i am waiting on hearing maximum number available at moment ;-)