rocker jumped off again

kirko

as title my car has thrown a rocker again:twisted::twisted:

and that is despite fitting a rocker stopper kit :?
obviously rocker stopper kits are a waste of time and money grr....
so i am now needing a guide shim 2.53mm thick
does anyone have any??

regards

david

P

pulsarboby

what valve springs and cams you using dave? unusual to throw rockers with the stoppers fitted unless either the valve springs arent strong enough or the rev limits been raised!
also have you checked the rocker pivots as these can have a habit of stripping the thread also, which will cause it to jump rocker

kirko

standard cams and springs :?
i was hiting the rev limiter at about 7400rpm a few times maybe i need to upgrade my valve springs:?

P

pulsarboby

theres the prob then dave. unless your peak torque is at 7400 which i very much doubt then all your doing by revving to that is causing damage!
you gain nothing 'other than a load of noise' by changing gear at that rpm. these engines do not like that kind of rpm unless you have uprated springs.
try changing earlier, the car may not sound quicker but it will be!

il have another shim for you but dont know what size it is

kirko

reason i was hitting limiter is because my rev counter is not working and becuase in first second and third it takes about a millisecond to get there:shock:

would you have two guide shims bob?
as ive noticed some damage on another one too:doh:

P

pulsarboby

il have a look for you today young david, pm me your address and il stick them in post to you tomorrow morning if ive got them.

reckon you should get that rev counter working or buy a shift light or youll be doing the same thing again.

kirko

when i reshelled my car the clocks from my original car are non abs and the shell i got from you bob has abs, so i think the abs clocks are wired differently so my non abs clocks dont work in the new shell if you get my drift:?

there maybe a way of making them work but i havent really looked yet so dont know:?
otherwise i could get some abs clocks:)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I change at the redline (7500) on the gauges almost daily. I've not thrown a rocker so far (maybe I shouldn't have said that) and I tried changing at 7000 on the strip and I was about 0.2-3s slower on the 1/4.

Is it the same rocker again? I'd consider changing the springs, maybe they're abit weak with old age?

Last edited:

kirko

its getting annoying now carl because it never used to happen:evil:
and ive even fitted a rocker stopper kit:?

Thor

@ Carl

Yes it was a broken rocker. normally i change gear faster @ 7.5K but at these start all wheel was turning and i had no grip. Now i must change the springs. what you think about the Brian Crower Dual springs? Are they good?

P

pulsarboby

that makes for interesting reading carl, gotta say that ive always thought that rocker stoppers work but that puts a whole new line as to whether they are infact gonna cause more damage than actually do any good!

can see the point there making and it does make perfect sense.