Reliable 450 Hp engine

Whollahii

Been looking through all the threads in the engine section but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.

What I want is some advice on my engine rebuild. I'd like to know what needs to be done to build a reliable engine ready for about 400 bhp, and also what more it might take if I were to decide to aim for 500 instead.

I have no previous experience with engine rebuilds so I'd like a complete shopping list.

The car will be driven on the road and tracks, and it will be pushed to the limit on the track days.

I'm only interested in what needs to be done with the engine. If I decide to go with the rebuild I'll probably get a quaife box and the brakes, turbo etc needed to handle the power.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

/ Sebastian

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Road and track spec is easy, who is building it the key factor and mapping is the key to it all.

vpulsar

My best advice is spend money on getting the cooling right, everything is pretty straightforward but you must get it cooled & fueled correctly.

Whollahii

Road and track spec is easy, who is building it the key factor and mapping is the key to it all.

The mapping will be taken care of by a company that according to many is one of the best here in Sweden. As for the building I'll probably do most of the work myself and perhaps let them do some of the trickier stuff.

Whollahii

My best advice is spend money on getting the cooling right, everything is pretty straightforward but you must get it cooled & fueled correctly.
I beleive I got the fueling part under control.. But advice on the cooling part? Aluminium radiator and oil cooler?

vpulsar

I beleive I got the fueling part under control.. But advice on the cooling part? Aluminium radiator and oil cooler?
Well when I did mine I made sure everything was new, new hoses new 53mm alloy rad new fans, 19 row oil cooler new water pump new oil pump and a motec ecu controlling the ignition and fueling to protect all my investment, I'd be tempted to either delete or replace that water/oil heat exchanger at the back as well but that's just me.

And dont forget the inlet temperatures as well so get a good quality intercooler and quality pipe work as well.

Mad

Nice! Mad looking R you got! What are your thoughts on the lightened flywheel? A friend of mine who had one said he didn't like it at all.
thanks, i haven't compared this setup with and without a lightened flywheel but can't see why it wouldn't be a benefit.

others on the site are more knowledgeable then me so I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better answer.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: