RB26 Swap

gti-rb26

Bob, i could say, i will never going to sell it. But as i know, it is better - never say never ;)

I guess it would be funny to use it for track but as you see, it will become an LHD.

If i come through all this, i will show up with it once on your lovely island.

cheers

gti-rb26

So, after ages a small update.

I haven`t had to much time the few month, but i could at least close all parts to weld. So the gearbox tunnel of the skyline sits in the pulsar right now.

here some pics of the work done:

Also the support brackets of the steering rack were machined meanwhile. Grinding and fine welding will be the next. Then fitting of the steeringrack.

keep u updated!

cheers

vpulsar

Wow this is the first time I've looked at this thread and though I think your mad the work you've done is fantastic mate well done and keep up the good work I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Rob

Drift God

Excellent work fella, keep it up, would love to see it finished. will be a one of a kind weapon if you get the set up right on ur hands. best of luck with it.
Do you have a completion date in mind?
Chris :-D

P

pulsarboby

Bob, i could say, i will never going to sell it. But as i know, it is better - never say never ;)

I guess it would be funny to use it for track but as you see, it will become an LHD.

If i come through all this, i will show up with it once on your lovely island.

cheers
pop in when you come over jakob, would like to take it for a blast to see how it handles (thats if you dont mind of course)

il supply you with best british tea, pies and cake lol

seriously though great work jakob, your a very clever chappie

gti-rb26

HI Bob,

of course you will take her out for a ride. Thanks for the offered tea ect.. and lots of thanks for the support you allready gave, without the whole swap would`nt be worth anything.

cheers

gti-rb26

Ok, some small updates.

I was able to make new supports for the seats. I am lucky because i can fit the original seats and this is what i was allways after.

It was neccessary to shift the seats closer to the door side due to the wider gear box tunnel. Anyway, they fit :lol:

gti-rb26

Also the steering wheel column support has been done with the proper vent into the engine bay.

And a new bracket for the shortened gear box support has to be done.

RU55 GTR

Looking great! I'm very interested to see how you progress with the project and how the finish project turns-out! Please keep us updated. Well-done, good-luck and thank you!

Lionel

If just seen this and far play its a awesome project, what made you do it ?. Also what's the differents in weight between the sr and gear box to the rb and gear box?

gti-rb26

Thanks for the comment Lionel,

"what made me doing that"? maybe i took leave of one`s senses!?! Due to i broke a gearbox by launching another pulsar of mine the thought was born. I was looking to adopting a gearbox from another, more reliable car. I found threads where guys flanged audi gearbox onto the SR20, others did it with celica gearboxes from toyota. So i thought, why not sticking to nissan?
There was no reliable nissan box to be found in lateral mount. But the Skyline box and the whole attesa system atracted me. So the thought was born placeing it lenghtways. Due to the fact that i had to change the gearbox tunnel and the bulkhead for the skyline gearbox anyway, the thought that the RB engine might find enough space was the next. So is how the story of all that started.

I`ve not measured the weight of the RB26 setup yet but from researches in the web i´ve found out, that the difference is around 150kg. Almost all the weight of the sr20 and the gearbox is beforehand the front axle. The RB setup balances over the hydraulic support (image below), so the weight is therefore brought more to the back of the car. This should balance the additional weight throughout the car.
Also there are alot of parts to support the engine, gearbox and to rainforce the cutout, this brought some more weight aditionally. I expect at least 200kg more than with the SR setup.

gti-rb26

There are some small updates.

I was able to disassamble the reardiff of my skyline due to the last snow covering it melt away.

Allthough the skyline diff is not negligible bigger it was almost a plug and paly to place it into the pulsars rear axle.

only two custom supports were neccessary to be built.

Last edited:

Lionel

Are you going to uses the gtr 4wd as well? I'm guessing yes.

Keep up the good work matey,

ps I have some gtr head gaskets and cams pully's I'm looking to sell if your after bits.

cheers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Allthough the skyline diff is not negligible bigger it was almost a plug and paly to place it into the pulsars rear axle.

only two custom supports were neccessary to be built.
I love the way you say that as if you built the two custom supports after breakfast and fitted them after lunch :)

Great work on this project. The concept has been talked about for 10 years so it's great to see someone going through the pain of implementing it.

Good luck with the work and please keep posting up how you are getting on.