Positive camber

JordK

My gtir seems to be running positive camber on the front two wheels. It's wearing the outsides of the tyres and is obvious when looking down the side of the car. What could cause this? I know that they aren't camber adjustable but surely there's something that could be wrong with it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What has been changed on it? - Wheels; springs/shocks; or is all all pretty standard?

You're correct that there's no OEM adjustment other than the toe-in/toe-out from the track-rods. - Excessive toe-in is often what's wearing the outside edge of tyres on these; especially as the handling is usually set to understeer.

You can buy camber bolts, but they only add a small amount of camber; could be you've got some fitted, but they're not set because someone mistook them for normal bolts.

We've got some members who really know suspension; hopefully they can give you something more useful that this.

Jon Olds

Is it not toe in that wears the outer edges? If you have 8 house bricks, some strong string, chalk and a tape measure, you can check your own toe (front and rear....)

JordK

Apparently it's GAB shocks and springs but after having it on the ramp I couldn't see any markings on them to prove they were (no serial numbers or anything obvious).

The toe isn't perfect either so I guess that wouldn't exactly help. A friend of mine suggested that the top mount might possibly be mounted incorrectly (wrong rotation or something), that would possibly encourage the shock to sat at an angle.
I'm planning on changing all the shocks and springs within the next couple of weeks if I can find decent priced/quality ones.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does the bonnet close without huge gaps? If so it seems pretty unlikely that you're pushing the strut towers so far that you're getting positive camber.

JordK

The bonnet moves about while driving but pretty sure that's just build quality or loose hinge.
Ill try get the alignment set up somewhere and see what like after that

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Can you post some pictures from the front and side so we can get an ideas how severe this is.

Are the top mounts standard, do you have any adjustable bolts.

The unknown GAB shocks and springs might be for the wrong car. Can you measure the distance from the floor to the centre of the wheel arch.

Just trying to establish if something's broken or it's an alignment issue.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I didn't think of that. :oops:

Usually it's that the spring/strut has been shortened, so the caber comes in. It makes sense that if it's too long it would push the camber out. - Could it also be that the springs have been installed around the wrong way? I can't remember which is longer, but they're not the same length front and back.