Oil Light

LeeSmith

Hi, I've searched through the forum looking to see what's wrong, but cannot find an exact match to my problem.

My Oil level is fine, my oil pressure is fin running at 4bar or just under, doesn't drop off or anything, but the last 2 days my oil light has come on. it started off quite dull, then came on fully, I obviously stopped straight away and inspected it but couldn't see a problem, checked the above again after i got home.

Now the light is on fully at start up and will not go off at all when running, but the car seems fine, no probs with pressure, temperature, level, running, nothing.

Other people who have had problems with the light their oil pressure has fluctuated, but mine does not.

The only problems I have with the car at the minute is the Manifold Gasket is blowing like a cheap vietnamese wh0re! I've ordered a new one and pick it up tomorrow.

A while ago I did have oil coming out the Dumpvalve....

Any help will be apreciated!!

Chiffs

Dont know on this but maybe a duff sensor/wiring?

Is the gauge pressure senor not also the dash light sensor also, if ones working and the others not maybe a wiring fault like one wire earthing out on something?

LeeSmith

I read that the dash light and the pressure gauge worked off seperate sensors..
Could it be the oil has deteriorated that badly that the car thinks that it needs changing? it was only changed about 1500 miles ago. I put Mobil One 15/50 in it.
I suppose an oil change wouldn't hurt to see if it cures it?

LeeSmith

could do, only other thing i've found it maybe is the oil flow control valve, but again my oil pressure stays the same.

Does anyone know where the sensor is for the dashboard oil light???

Cheers for your help mate!!

Chiffs

I think the oil pressure (both of them) and temp are all taken from the large round sensor by the oil filter (rear of engine on drivers side).

Got me thinking weather the dash light is seperate now!!?

Sure someone will post and shoot me down in a ball of flames if im wrong

LeeSmith

right went to nissan picked up the parts for the Exhaust Manifold & one for the Turbo (well, start of the intercooler pipe on top of the turbo) asked them about the oil light & was advised that it could be the switch leaking. Asked the Teccy how much a new switch would be, he said wouldn't have thought anymore than £15. So I went to the parts dept, £76.80 + VAT please......ha fook off!!! Thought I'd take my chances of stripping it down at a later date.

anyway, driving home, I thought, well it's only the switch, planted my foot to the floor, (after driving changing gear for 4 days at 2500 rpm It was like stepping in it again for the first time, the power was awesome!!!) Anyway, I looked at the dash & the light's gone out!!!!!!!!

It hasn't come on since. It does the usual check when you turn on the ignition, then goes off when you start the car up. So it must have been a bit dirty from me driving like a b1tch because of the exhaust blowing (trying too hard not to sound like a tractor).

LeeSmith

lol yep for once it's not costing me!!! although didn't manage to change the friggin manifold gasket.....couldn't get to the bolts under the manifold, too much stuff in the way! going to have to take a bit more time on this one :0(

antgtir

I would defo keep an eye on this one as you may find the oil pump is on its way out mate, maybe this latest kick up the backside has given it a new lease of life however you dont kow for how long.

From what ive heard i dont think its to much of a pain to change either.

Manifold is awkward but not to bad tbh.

Goodluck, Ant.