nackered dump valve?

webba23

No doubt I'll have more questions in the future. Still getting the hang of things here. Good to know there are answers out there.Matt

GTi-R23

If you're running the standard breather system then a little bit of oil in the inlet tract, and hence around the dv is normal, as long as it's not pouring out or using a lot of oil

webba23

GTi-R23 said:
If you're running the standard breather system then a little bit of oil in the inlet tract, and hence around the dv is normal, as long as it's not pouring out or using a lot of oil
It's not puring out there is just a slight amount, oil levels are also fine so I presume all is ok which is a massive relief.Thanks Matt

GTi-R23

You'll find that most turbo'd cars will have oil in the inlet system, the oil breather system usually 'taps' into the inlet so the oil vapours can be burnt off, but as the oil cools and condenses, this leads to oil coming out of the DV etc.
The breather system can be modified so this doesn't happen though, but not really necessary on a standard engine.
Do a search and you'll probably find a few topics on how to do this if that takes your fancy, but yeah, sounds like you've got nothing to worry about.

gunmetalgtir

I'm a bit confused by this, cause neither of the Pulsars I've had spat oil out of the dump valves!

So I don't understand how this is nothing to worry about?

webba23

gunmetalgtir said:
I'm a bit confused by this, cause neither of the Pulsars I've had spat oil out of the dump valves!

Now I'm worrying again.I have spoken people I know who also think it is normal for this to happen.As a newcomer I now very confused.Matt

warringtonjack

gunmetalgtir said:

On a standard car, the crankcase 'breathes' into the inlet pipework, which can result in oil in the dv! No?

As for trying to locate a leak, check the pcv on the back left of the rocker. ;)

olliecast

if its boosting fine is it really worth worrying about at the moment?
mine sprays a tiny film out over a long period but boosts fine so i ain`t worried about it.
maybe post a pic of your dv so we know exactly what the amount is?

webba23

I checked mine again tonight and there is no more oil on it than the other night so I'm happy with it. Boosts is def not an issue as running 1 bar and always able to achieve that. Not going to get a chance to take pic tomorrow as at a wedding but will try on Sun if I'm in any fit state. Lol.

Cheers for the advice.

gtirjoey

over time as the engine starts to wear and become tired it will start to breath heavy! this will result in oil going into inlet (through breathers), the dump valve releases boost pressure every time you come off the throttle so as the air rushes out it will draw any oil from the inlet to dump valve.