More of an annoyance than anything - dashboard lights

paz

Righty.... still getting used to these Jap controls (came from a french piece of toss ;) hehe)....

For the first time a couple of days ago I figured out how to turn my main beam on.... I'll go through it in steps because it might help I dunno....

1. Pushed the right hand stalk forward to give me full beam
2. Dashboard blue light came on to advise me full beam was on
3. At the end of my drive pulled the stalk back again turning the full beam lights off
4. Full beam light stays lit up on the dashboard
5. Turned the lights off using the swirly bit assuming the problem would correct itself overnight
5. If I turn the lights on now (using the ''twirly bit'' - must be a more technical name for it but i don't know it :( lol) I can turn them to the first sidelight setting (so the headlights still come on but not so bright) and the dashlight stays off.... if I turn them to the fully on position (second click on the turn) the blue full beam light comes on......
6. I've checked the full beam light and tried just pushing it forwards and backwards to see if it will click itself off, but it will not
7. I get angry :( lol

Can anyone help?

Paz

S

Sunny Nutter

I am not sure where the relays are for the headlights (Guys?)
there are a few fuse/relay boxes under the bonnet....just find the headlight one (can be done through process of elimination if needs be!) and buy a replacement and stick it in and see if it works better!

Also...check all the wiring behind your headlights...sometimes the plugs that go onto the bulbs can get hot and melt causing a short there or on the wires...if this has happened its easy enough to fix with a new connection from a scrapped sunny, a soldering iron and some heat shrink

C

charlie

is it just the dash light? Or the actual headlights too? Sounds like it could be an earth fault to me

paz

charlie said:
is it just the dash light? Or the actual headlights too? Sounds like it could be an earth fault to me
Just the dash light.... the actual headlights work like they still should the only problem is the light stays on on the dash

paz

paz

charlie said:
Just the dash light.... the actual headlights work like they still should the only problem is the light stays on on the dash

paz

paz

cheers for all the info everyone, jut sorted it now with a little help from the old owner :)

The problem was one of the light fittings in the engine bay behind the light had worked itself loose... simple as that :roll: :lol:

paz

C

charlie

i presume it was somewhow livening up the other side of the bulb then and causing it to go back and light the dash

N

N1SMO

are the bulbs standard as over powered bulbs can fuse the switch this happened to a vw i had