MAF Sensor regrounding

Fire & skill

Vintage member
just di this to a mates car - i dont know if its made a difference TBH, although the reading is right now, still idling lumpy

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
What are the symtoms of a MAF that needs (reads over the 9mv stated) to be re-grounded/earthed. Anyone who's done this have you noticed any benifit at all.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Just had a Z32 MAF fitted to my car and suspect it needs grounding properly. Problem is under the rubber cover on the plug there's 4 wires, white, black with white band, black and another white, how do I tell which is the earth ???

A

AJ4

measure the resistance between each of the pins and ground ( with the loom connected and ignition switched off ). One of them should be about 1 ohm, thats the one.

Also, just found this in another post -

Pin B - White Wire (MAF Signal)

Pin C - Chassis Ground (Connect this to any ground on the chassis)

Pin D - Black Wire (Harness Ground)

Pin E - Black/White Wire (Power)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Cool, cheers Ross :)

Pin B - White Wire (MAF Signal)

Pin C - Chassis Ground (Connect this to any ground on the chassis)

Pin D - Black Wire (Harness Ground)

Pin E - Black/White Wire (Power)
This is what I got on my plug :?

Pin B - White Wire (Thin wire)

Pin C - Black/White Wire (Thin wire)

Pin D - Black Wire (Thin wire)

Pin E - White Wire (Fat wire)

Now I'm confused :? Need to get the Multimeter out me thinks :roll:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Right, just had a look to see if I could find the ground wire on my Z32 plug, with the Multimeter set on the 2000 ohm setting and the cable layout as above post, I get a 1 ohm reading on both the black and the black & white wire :?

Trouble is if I connect to the wrong wire I will distroy my MAF, am I using the corrrect Mutimeter setting ??

A

AJ4

2000 ohm range is fine.

Here's how I'd work it out.

The pin B wires match up ok ( signal wire ).
The Pin D wires match up ok ( harness ground ).
Pin E is supposed to be live, so expect a thicker wire ( as you have found ).
That leaves Pin C as the chassis ground.

That ties up with what you measured ( Pins C & D are grounds )

Is it too late to leave a disclaimer ? :D

B

boozyboo

went to the tuners, they pluged my car and got a reading of 315v to the maf from a 12v battery. work that one out:der:

youngsyp

boozyboo said:
went to the tuners, they pluged my car and got a reading of 315v to the maf from a 12v battery. work that one out:der:
:lol: You'll never see 12 volts at the MAF...... You'll see a range of 0 - 5 volts, depending on how much air is flowing through it !

Paul

B

boozyboo

youngsyp said:
:lol: You'll never see 12 volts at the MAF...... You'll see a range of 0 - 5 volts, depending on how much air is flowing through it !

Paul

i watched the computor. it fluctuated from 3.2v to 315v (thats not a typo) to the maf.

youngsyp

boozyboo said:
i watched the computor. it fluctuated from 3.2v to 315v (thats not a typo) to the maf.
that would have been 3.2 volts to 0.315 volts. How do you think the MAF ups the voltage to 315 volts ? That would burn out most of the delicate circuitry !

Paul

STU4X4

Think Im Getting My Wires Crossed Here, (no Pun Intended)

Ive Got A Standard Maf Fitted And Its Only Got 3 Wires, 2 Oute Are Orange And Middle One Is White.

If The White One Is The Signal Back To The Computer Why Is It Now Being Put Straight To Earth?

P

philpy

For those of you that have reground your MAF did you:

Cut the existing white wire and take it from the MAF plug straight to the ground, therefore leaving a dead tail in the wiring loom.
Or
Just add a spur to the existing white wire leaving it intact but with a new ground nearer the MAF.

Just wondering if this makes a difference.

youngsyp

philpy said:
For those of you that have reground your MAF did you:

Cut the existing white wire and take it from the MAF plug straight to the ground, therefore leaving a dead tail in the wiring loom.
Or
Just add a spur to the existing white wire leaving it intact but with a new ground nearer the MAF.

Just wondering if this makes a difference.
The only difference it should make is neatness matey.

I did the second one so, reinforcing the existing earth.

Paul