Lights Dimming??

andytb

Hi

I have a problem with the all the lights on the pulsar as they keep dimming ,
even when the head lights are of, the dash lights and gauges dim to , i can drive around for a while and everything is fine the volt meter reads 14v then itll drop to around 12v for a while , then itll go back to 14v for a while and be fine . the car starts fine and idles fine .

I have put a new battery and alternater on ,and changed the earth wires from the battery to body and engine to body for new ones ,ive also cleaned the earths behind the headlights to body ,and checked most wires for any damage one was split and has been taped up, its still happening tho.

Ive been through a few old posts the only solution ive found is that the alternater belt isnt tight enough?? and also found this on an old post ....small exciter wire which illuminates the light is shorted to earth. Whats an exciter wire and where would it be ??

Thanks

antgtir

Considering it seems to be affecting the voltage output from the alternator i'd look at the connections from the alternator and the voltage at the battery via a digi volt meter, also as you say check the tension of the alternator belt. You may find that a new belt has stretched a little or worn in a little and so in effect lengthened therefore slipping slightly.

Check the main power cable from the alternator (the one with the red cap on the end) as these can sometimes become detached due to wear and tear therefore not always giving you a 100% connection. You may find that the cable is detached during the 12V feed to your meter (this being the battery alone voltage) then when re attached its reading the 14v ish that it should from the battery plus alternator.

Good luck,

Ant.

andytb

lights dimming

thanks i forgot to mention it has had a new alternater belt on!! im going to check it all next weekend using a volt meter thanks for the advice !

jameswrx2

Make sure the plug into the alternator is pressed fully home. It seems to go in a long way before it's 'right' May sound obvious but I had to use a prybar to put mine fully in as it wasn't right.