How To relocate battery to boot

houghy_1

Then i cut out the tool tray so it would accommodate the battery and its tray.
This would give a more subtle look and also the boot carpet is shaped for the tool tray and would look odd without the original shape and have no rigidity about it.
It makes the battery look sunk down and more hidden.
Cut out to suit the clamps and also drill a hole for the vent pipe to go through(pic 2),about 10mm.

clickable thumbnails...

houghy_1

Then its a matter of putting the battery in and clamping it down in the tray,
fit the vent pipe,connect the terminals up and put the terminal covers back on.
Then put the original tool tray lid back on,after cutting to shape.
Cut the boot carpet so it will sit over the battery.

Job Done!!!

Thats just my idea anyway.

Matt

clickable thumbnails..

warringtonjack

Mate, that looks excellent. Very nicely done.

Just makes me realise that my battery tray is different and my battery is a hell of a lot bigger than that!!!! :s Luckily mine managed to relocate in the bay. Quality pictures tho. Good effort. 8)

maz

good job houghy, do you know if that will still pass all MOT inspection rules tho? as i was sure it had to be in an enclosed box incase it became dislodged in the boot compartment? maybe its all covered tho since u have it clamped down. very discreet tho :)

how do u feel your small battery is for starting the car? mine struggles a wee tad but gets there about a second or two slower than when the battery was under the bonnet. might try and get a bigger ampage one. :)

GtiR`BoD

about to relocate mine this week is that essential to vent the battery?? as these fumes travel from the engine bay and into the car to some extent anyway.... just s thought!

rayman75

when i done mine i would recommend getting a bigger battery with bigger cranking amps, as its got to push the current further, from the boot to the starter.

houghy_1

Cheers for the comments guys.

Maz: The battery should be fine cos its the same one that pete is using and his starts fine,no probs.
I cant start mine cos im in the middle of putting an R33 FMIC on and its not connected up yet,my next job!

As for the MOT...i bloody well hope so!!! :p
I cant see why not cos the battery tray is fastened down to the boot floor,then the battery is clamped into the tray then its all enclosed by the tool tray.

Yes you need the vent pipe for MOT and your own safety:lol:
it will vent the build up of hydrogen gases.

Matt

rossdj1983

just done mine, i used the battery cable from a e46 bmw- they carry their batterys in the boot. get them of ebay for next to fu<k all or give mr halfords £100000000000000000

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've got most of the parts including the cable here, left over from when I used to make the kits, the only thing you'll need to find is a battery box.

send me a PM..................meanwhile I'll check I have everything you'll need (do you have a soldering iron or blow torch and some solder ?)

have a look at my post in this thread, it explains whats was used in the kit clicky

OleH

A few questions

1. Is it a good idea (or even necessary) to have a bigger cable for the starter alone, in addition to the one for everything else? Can't see that anyone has done it, but I've read that some people experience that the car needs an extra turnover or two to start after moving the battery to the back?

2. Is it a must to have the battery in a box when using a gèl battery? As long as it is properly secured I don't see the reason for putting it in a box?

3. Is it a good idea to put the power switch on the negative cable instead of on the positive?
4. How much amp is recommended in the battery? I do not have any amplifier or subwoofer installed.

OleH

1. Is it a good idea (or even necessary) to have a bigger cable for the starter alone, in addition to the one for everything else? Can't see that anyone has done it, but I've read that some people experience that the car needs an extra turnover or two to start after moving the battery to the back?

2. Is it a must to have the battery in a box when using a gèl battery? As long as it is properly secured I don't see the reason for putting it in a box?

3. Is it a good idea to put the power switch on the negative cable instead of on the positive?
4. How much amp is recommended in the battery? I do not have any amplifier or subwoofer installed.
Any opinion and feedback on these questions will be appreciated :-D

OleH

The reason for question no. 1 (one separate cable for the starter?) is that I've read/heard a rumour that the noise/interference from the starter can disturb the stand alone engine management, giving you poor performance the first couple of moments after the car is started.

I know that there are many more enlighted people on this forum that know A LOT more about this than me. Come out, wherever you are :lol:

skiddusmarkus

I mounted my Odyssey pc680 behind the seat between the floor and rear seat with this bracket:

I have sprayed it mat black and earthed off a sturdy bracket that used to hold the rear seat in place IIRC.The bracket is very light and seems strong enough but has a slight design flaw in that if you connect the straps up with the spades lieing flat it will short the battery as the terminals are level with the top of the bracket hahahahah.I just bent them up a bit and cut a strip of silicon vacuum pipe and cable tied it in place on the top so there is no conduction.
The battery only weighs 7kg and is drycell so can be used any way up and won't leak if I cash.Its also more powerful than standard so easier starting.The downside is it cost £89.99 delivered off ebay but you get what you pay for.

Gaz gtiR

i am going to do this at weekend but i have got wires on the earth terminal in engine bay at min. not sure wot there for?? think there for the alarm?? can i leave these connected to the earth in engine bay?? as once the battery is earthed in the boot the wires in engine bay will still be earthed threw the body wont they?? :)

whytie

i am going to do this at weekend but i have got wires on the earth terminal in engine bay at min. not sure wot there for?? think there for the alarm?? can i leave these connected to the earth in engine bay?? as once the battery is earthed in the boot the wires in engine bay will still be earthed threw the body wont they?? :)
Yes that's fine.