How To relocate battery to boot

Hannie

You need about 3m of heavy duty auto electrical cable,an earth strap,something to hold the battery(preferably a motorsport/speedboat box but me and my dad made mine)and a welding rod;-).
You remove battery and unbolt the bracket it goes on.Join the new cable to the old battery terminal and wrap loads of insulating tape around it to keep it from getting damp/coming in contact with metal.Thread the cable through a grommet by the abs unit the welding rod makes this easier as you push it through with the cable on the end.It comes out in the passenger footwell.All the trim comes off really easily and you run it behind the carpet,under the sill guard,under the foam rear seat and straight into the boot.Connect a terminal to the end of the cable and that's that sorted.
For the earth,I bought a ready made one for about a fiver,drilled the boot floor,cleaned it up with sandpaper,put vaseline on(Vpulsar will have loads of this)to keep it free of moisture and a good connecton and bolted it on.I may improve this at a later date and bolt it to the chassis but I've had it checked for resistance and it was fine.
The battery box neeeds to be securely mounted to pass the MOT so 2 or 3 bolts does it easy.I then waxoyled all the nuts and bolts showing under the boot floor to stop it rusting.

Studlife

So it is okay to earth the battery in the boot? you do not have to run both positive and negative to the boot, Also what did you make of the old earth monter to the engine?

Mr GTiR

Studlife said:
So it is okay to earth the battery in the boot? you do not have to run both positive and negative to the boot, Also what did you make of the old earth monter to the engine?
Yes it's ok to earth in the boot. Earth's should be as short as possible, so no need to run the earth in the engine bay through the car, just the positive.

When you make your new earth in the boot, make sure you rub down the metal where the earth point is going to be as this will give it the best contact for the earth.

Just leave the earth's in the engine bay ;-)

CruiseGTi-R

What did you earth to in the boot? The boot floor, wheelarch ?

(just read top thread, you said boot floor, sorry :doh: )

CruiseGTi-R

....am thinking about doing a custom battery box though, moulded to the ribs of the boot floor, wonder whether people would be interested?

Gray

I'm thinking about doing this one weekend soon but Ive seen people just put the tray the battery sits on in the engine bay and attach it in the boot? Depends on the price CruiseGTi-R but I could be interested

CruiseGTi-R

Well it wouldn't be for a while fella, have lots on as it is, but always looking to the next idea.

I'd do it if its worthwhile, cos if a speedboat type box is spot on then no need for custom job. I was thinking that the battery could be crammed right into the space behind the wheelwell though, so perhaps a custom box shape might be the thing.

Anyway, its a longer term idea, need to get these tow eye covers out first!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
CruiseGTi-R said:
....am thinking about doing a custom battery box though, moulded to the ribs of the boot floor, wonder whether people would be interested?
It wasn't a molded one but I was offering the whole "Battery in the boot kit" at one stage it included everything down to the last screw and there wasn't alot of interest. To many people wanting something for nothing :?

Gray

Could you still knock up one of these kits steve and what does it include and how much?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Gray said:
Could you still knock up one of these kits steve and what does it include and how much?
If you PM me I will send you the old price list I used to have posted up later this afternoon.

A

AJ4

Steve, can you elaborate on the engine building in your avatar ? You doing it or using someone else ? Need to find a builder for my 'secret squirrel', and AGRA is a bit too far for me.. :(

N

Ninja_tune_factory

Im juat about to do one for a customer , as there no room under the bonnet any more

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Ninja_tune_factory said:
Im juat about to do one for a customer , as there no room under the bonnet any more
"Do one" what Lionel, you mean a battery in the boot conversion, or sell a kit.

N

Ninja_tune_factory

yer mate , i got a R in the workshop thats had a far amount of work done and i cant get the battery bk in the same place as stenderd so its goin in the boot , got the bits just need to put it in :)

Studlife

another question about the relocation process, i have a grounding kit thats already hooked up what do i earth it to now that the battery is gone to the boot?

houghy_1

Ive just finished doing mine,the only problem was making it look as if its not just stuck in the boot or overcrowding the rest of the boot.
To make it look subtle if you know what i mean.

I got a cable kit of andy,Mr GTiR,that had:
a 4m length of 4 gauge power cable,
1m length of 4 gauge earth cable,
a connector box for the wires to go into under the bonnet with rubber covers for the screws,
2 terminals for the battery,
ring terminal for the earth lead.

Then off pete i got:

New battery with vent hole
Vent for battery with about 300mm length of pipe attached
A battery tray off Ford Fiesta Mk2 84-89
battery clamp bar and rods.
Its essential that the battery can vent any build of gases in the enclosed space of the boot.

Heres my effort...

houghy_1

Then site the battery tray and drill 1 hole through clearance so it can be fixed to the original screw hole for the tool tray using the original screw,
note the screw is in the recessed part of the tray so it wont foul the battery when its in.

Drill a 7mm hole through the rubber grommet to the left of the tray,this is where the battery vent pipe will go through.

You can fix the earth cable to a hole on the skin of the body using an 8mm srew and nut..

clickable thumbnails...