how do i remove my starter

J

jayesh

starters gone dead wanted to know quickist way to remove it

J

jayesh

starter

does'nt anyone know anything why is there nothing in the how to section i thougtht this would be featured

jonee

r

you speak of the thing that can't be named with such abandenment :shock:

you don't say st****r mo**r you say "that piece of skoda that hides at the back of my engine were i can't get at it"

good luck my friend

jonee

N

n7dge

Find something else to fix mate, starter motor realy is THE MOST DIFFICULT part to get at on the R.
Have you found where it is yet :?: :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Did mine when the engine was out for peace of mind as I couldn't see any realistic way to do it once it was back in again.

I know this doesn't help you much

Sorry,
Jim.

geetee

This is what happens when you shoe horn a longitudinal engine into a small transverse chassis. :lol:

Who ever heard of having to take a wheel off to get to the oil filter :lol: :lol: these cars are ridiculous.

I have skinned more knuckles, thrown more tools, expelled more expletives, promised death to more Nippon designers in the short time I've had to work on my R (doing basic 'easy' maintenance jobs) than I have in the rest of 16 years working on all manner of motorbikes and cars.

Not a single thing is easy, that half hour Sunday afternoon job always turns into ramps and hoists and sickies on Monday to finish it off.

Gotta luv it else you'll set fire to it. :roll:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Keira

Re: r

jonee said:
dude
wheel off to do the oil filter :shock:
jonee, some people are abit strange on here and like to do more work than they need to :wink: :lol:

As for the starter motor :shock: everyones already said it :cry:

jayesh said:
in answer to your original question, get someone else to do it :wink:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Re: r

jonee said:
dude

wheel off to do the oil filter :shock:

y

jonee

Well if you remove the driver side wheel you get a clear view of the oil filter...

The other way is to jack it up and get to it from underneath but its still an arse to remove sometimes...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
jayesh said:
You have 2 options, engine in or engine out. I don't know how long it'll take with the engine in but it'll be a b!tch to do as you have to remove alot of stuff to get to the starter motor.
Ask Ex-gtir above about doing it with the engine out as he can remove them pretty quickly :wink:
It's gonna be a few hours either way :cry: :evil:

zia

you can do them in but it take quite bit of work, it easier if you remove the front diff and driveshaft etc.( no small task at that! especially the bolt next to the speedsensor), top braket/side braket/ y shape braket behind plenum. it easier if you have air gun long wobbly extenstion. and air rachet.

zia

J

jayesh

starter

cheers guys it looks like im gona be off the road for a while then

ex-gtir

as said can be done in situ
but why dont you bite the bullet and fit a new clutch and do the starter at the same time :wink: as it wont be long before it goes :wink:

ex-gtir

as said can be done in situ
but why dont you bite the bullet and fit a new clutch and do the starter at the same time :wink: as it wont be long before it goes :wink:

J

jayesh

starter

hi mate no need to to do the clutch nothing wrong with it just wanted to know if it was easier to remove from top or bottom of engine