HKS SSQV authenticity

Trip

youngsyp

Well the bottom part doesn't look like the authentic item and most of the rest of it doesn't look like mine, material wise. However, take no notice of your mate. I read an article written by a guy in the US who stripped down both an eBay fake and the original item and bar some slight casting marks on the fake, that wouldn't affect anything, they were identical. I'd certainly have no quarms in buying a 'fake' one if I needed one.

Also, you don't really think HKS products are massively good quality do you ? They just get them all made in China, like everyone else or, re-badge other companies parts. Then just whack a 200% mark up on their price. ;-)

gunmetalgtir

Hmm I don't know about that!!

My pal bought a fake blitz one from ebay for his Glanza. It was only running about 1.1 bar for not even a month before the thing broke!!

Trip

Also, i am sure this is the version1 model, which i should have got the "New type" as quoted.

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
Hmm I don't know about that!!

My pal bought a fake blitz one from ebay for his Glanza. It was only running about 1.1 bar for not even a month before the thing broke!!
That's a Blitz item though, not an HKS item. Two completely different things. ;-)

Trip

I did a search too and apperently the FAKE SSQV will take the abuse too. What i am mostly concerned about is the price i paid for an original which turned to be a fake.

youngsyp

Trip said:
What i am mostly concerned about is the price i paid for an original which turned to be a fake.
Ahh, that's a different story. I'd be confident in saying the one you have, is definitely a fake. If you paid for an authentic one, I'd be having words with the seller !

O

Odin

I'll be selling my proper HKS one soon so you can pay twice if you like lol.

Rob

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
That's a Blitz item though, not an HKS item. Two completely different things. ;-)
Sorry I thought it would have just been the same scenario! :doh:

Are the HKS fakes a lot better made then?

Kind of like what they do with their denso spark plugs?

Last edited:

antgtir

That looks like the fake tbh, however the only major noticeable difference i can see is as Pual says the bottom swivle section and the lack of a HKS stamp on the side. As long as the spring rating is the same etc then i cant see any probs in running it.

As long as it doesn't make the duck noise like that one we all saw the vid of then id be ok with it.

If not just sell it on and get yourself the one from Rob.

Ant.

GTi-R23

Yes, get one that does actually make a duck noise.

Other than the cost issue, I don't see any other problem, as long as the valve will hold boost and dump, then I'd be ok.

Although having said that I did fork out nearly £280 on a genuine HKS one when I first got my R :doh:

I got sucked in by the magical name, regardless of product.

Much the same as most people are doing these days, painting anything and everything pink and selling it at a higher price to teenage girls.
As long as it's got HKS written on it, people will pay an arm and a leg.

Trip

The bracket does have HKS written on it, but nothing printed/stamped on the BOV.

I didn't pay for a used fake SSQV and an original HKS bracket.

nimhbk

got the same one on my car fella its been on there at least five years from when it was imported from japan, it works fine, my car also came with a hks mushroom air filter, boost controller,metal head gasket not sure about the gasket but the rest our all gen hks parts so i would same the bov is... you might just have a really old one like me

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Looks fine to me.. I'm sure my genuine item looks just the same.. The HKS logo on the BOV itself will come off in time anyway so thats not a good way to decide..

There are different versions which look different too.. Mine is about 5 years old so not sure which version it is..

antgtir

RishiGTiR said:
Looks fine to me.. I'm sure my genuine item looks just the same.. The HKS logo on the BOV itself will come off in time anyway so thats not a good way to decide..

There are different versions which look different too.. Mine is about 5 years old so not sure which version it is..
I was about to say that, the stamp HKS put on the BOV is only a light yellow paint which is very easily worn off. The likelyhood is that the guy who sold it to you was trying to keep the BOV looking all nice and shiney, so used his new bottle of metal polish and polished the BOV to death lol hence no stamp.

The purple insert is certainly as HKS, however this im sure is the same on the fake ones which doesn't really help much.:roll:

Ant.

91_GTi-R

either the fake over the real one the both work well i have a mate that is runnung 2 fake ones on his fairlady z tt and they have held up for 2 years now and sound amazing too

jameswrx2

It's genuine mate!

It looks a good few years old (ie before the fakes existed) also the fakes are some sort of nasty chromed finish, you can clearly see that's polished alloy with lacquer.