head shimming

CARLGTIR

lol dont worry tenfoloten, I'm sure you have better things to do than research about rolfy! I am impressed with the colour scheme of the drawing tho... :D

olliecast

pulsarboby said:
well in that case you have some serious gaps there:shock: :shock: they really need looking at!

you should not be able to lift the rocker off shims with cams bolted down you must have around 1mm to 1.5mm gaps, surprised its not thrown the rockers off tbh. something is definately badly wrong there.
he might mean that he can slightly move it from side to side.

like you say though, if you can un-locate it from the cutout shim then something is along way out!

GTIR-LOZ

not really bob as if you have a gap between the rocker and the cam if it slips its only going to return the spring to the same height it was before and the screwdriver hits the actual head, you are pushing directly down on the spring on the inner part of the 2 circles if you look at it and only enough to remove the castle shim then the rocker will slide off the other

also you can rest the srewdriver or lever bar on the side of the criss cross bit of the head i think its for strengthening so it faces away from the cams, i did slip when i did mine and all it did was shoot the shim up over my head lol

your way is prob safer though 8)

P

pulsarboby

ah i see what you mean now!
anyone under 15 stone would have a huge prob doing that though unless they have arms like arnie:lol:

smoked

did the old feeler gauge trick last night it only took me 2 hours start to finish as i had already measured the gaps. started her up....................quiet as a mouse!! i was so supprised at the difference such little gaps made i then went for a blast and all seems fine!

when you actually get the shims out and look at them, for the feeler blade to fall out you would have to jump a rocker (unless the feeler blade you put in is really thick) and if you do that your in big trouble anyway so by the by.

thanks for the tip bob, but finding a joggler locally was harder than i thought i had to visit a body shop and get the guy to punch them out after about 20 goes the fella was looking at me as if to say f**k off will ya.

P

pulsarboby

:lol: :lol: , i would have cut them for you takes around 10 seconds to cut one with the proper tool, but i thought you were going to use the proper shims so didnt reply back to pm you sent:doh:
as you have said they wont come out or break unless you throw a rocker and then there will be busted shims floating around anyway!

smoked

no worries matey, i was in two minds what to do, but i went to nissan where the parts guy had a bag of shims but they werent my sizes. and when you look at how they sit on the valves the only way it could go wrong was if i messed it up being a goon or threw a rocker. i just soaked the shims in oil before putting the gauge in
and then popped them back on. i did it by just loosening the cam caps. easy peasy! (see my next post "removing foreign objects from my head, how to needed")

P

pulsarboby

:lol: :lol: theres plenty of foreign objects in my head, but i use them all to store worthless info & shite like eastenders:lol:

olliecast

tenfoloten said:
how many cost shims in nissan?
more than a set of feeler gauges!! :p

tbh on a few of mine i had to cut them out with a pair of tin snips to get the size i needed. So long as you take your time after a few attempts you can get a nice snug fit in the shim.
Bear in mind the top of the valve stem is domed so make sure none of it is folded over and it`ll sit nicely!

GTIR-LOZ

they are around £20 for the flat one and a fiver for the castle one - dont ask me why they are cheaper than the other it seems bonkers to me