head shimming

smoked

hello guys, ive had my R for two years now but im new to the OC.

shimmed my head today from cold and these are my results

inlet
cam lobe 1. both 0.20
cam lobe 2. shim 0.20 rocker guide 0.25
cam lobe 3. both 0.15
cam lobe 4. both 0.20

exhaust
cam lobe 1. shim 0.25 rocker guide 0.20
cam lobe 2. both 0.20
cam lobe 3. both 0.20
cam lobe 4. shim 0.16 rocker guide 0.20

from these values would it make the head noisey i know they are all supposed to be 0.14 to 0.17 cold?? is it worth altering them them? the head has become louder in my ownership.

is there any way to get the shims out without taking the cams off so i can micrometer them up and get the differences to get the replacements?

cheers guys

Last edited:
hi..
Can you help me with a pics tutorial to meausure shims adjustament??
all passages
thanks a lot
attend your reply
bye

olliecast

smoked said:
hello guys, ive had my R for two years now but im new to the OC.

shimmed my head today from cold and these are my results

inlet
cam lobe 1. both 0.20
cam lobe 2. shim 0.20 rocker guide 0.25
cam lobe 3. both 0.15
cam lobe 4. both 0.20

exhaust
cam lobe 1. shim 0.25 rocker guide 0.20
cam lobe 2. both 0.20
cam lobe 3. both 0.20
cam lobe 4. shim 0.16 rocker guide 0.20

from these values would it make the head noisey i know they are all supposed to be 0.14 to 0.17 cold?? is it worth altering them them? the head has become louder in my ownership.

is there any way to get the shims out without taking the cams off so i can micrometer them up and get the differences to get the replacements?

cheers guys
very similar values to mine yesterday. i had to do at least .05 on most but there was .10 required on others. mine is alot quieter now. i took some pics with me phone so i`ll post them up.

if you have a spring compressor you`ll be able to get the shims off. i took bob`s advice and just took off the cam caps then slightly prised them up. used the feeler gauge method to, seems to have worked a treat with a nice feel on 0.15 cold after everything was back together

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

here you go, copied & pasted from an old thread i did a while back.

thought i would pass on a little bodge of mine for a quick and inexpensive fix on adjusting valve clearances

the shims from nissan cost a lot of money and i believe there on back order so theres a lot of R's ive noticed that are running around with really noisy tappets!

so my little bodge (and it does work, done it many a time) consists of nothing more than a set of feeler gauges!
check the clearances on your valves in the normal way, but when you work out shim size instead of buying shims to take up play, take the shim size and add a feeler gauge thickness to make correct clearance

i.e if clearance should be 0.15mm and shim size is 0.20mm take a 0.05mm blade from the feeler gauge and cut a small piece off which will sit inside the existing shim (make sure it is seated correctly) then place the shim back on valve stem!

thats it, simple and it works, and it will only cost you a set of feeler gauges, around £3 to reshim your head, and no waiting around for weeks trying to get right size shims in!:thumbsup:

please note its best to use a joggler when cutting the shims as they will be a round 6mm which will sit inside shim perfectly

smoked

ta bob where can i get a joggler??

so say inlet my inlet cam lobe 1 is 0.20 gap, i just need to cut a circle feeler gauge of size 0.05 to get 0.15 clearance?

how can i get the shims out with the cams in situe?

P

pulsarboby

with great difficulty tbh lol.

you will need to make a tool which attaches to the caps with a series of threaded bolts in a bar, where you can tighten the bolts down to compress the springs, but its easier to just lift the cams slightly!
theres no need to remove them from the chain so effectively your timing wont move (unless you turn engine with cams off)
as ollie will tell you 'its not difficult'

and your correct with the first bit about clearances and 0.05 to be added.
type in joggler on ebay and some will appear! if you dont want to buy one then il cut them for you as i did with ollies, and drop them in post to you for a small fee

dave

Bob reshim way is the cheap and best way!, believe me i have done it in mine, the easy way i found for do this faster is by measuring the shims, rocker guides and cam lobes when you have this parts out, so you can order or put in correct place yours shims and rocker guides according to the size of the lobes them you install all of them in head and measure the clearance between the cam lob and rocker arm, it should be between .14mm to .17mm, don't be take it to personal remenber there is always a range of error so try to put it closer to .14mm...

remenber! read your Factory Service Manual help a lot.

by the way THANKS TO BOB. great ideas as always!

vss irvine

Advertisement
1 result for: bodge

bodge
[imp. & p. p. Bodged.] To botch; to mend clumsily; to patch. [Obs. or Dial.]

GTIR-LOZ

if you are feeling brave and strong all you need to do is turn the cam so the lobe is facing up away from the rocker and use a big flat blade screwdriver you can compress the valve spring down and remove the castle shim it will then be easy to remove the other shim as the castle one is the only one holding the rocker in

no fannying about with loosening cams, but you do need to be strong as if you are not careful the screwdriver can slip and the shim goes sailing into the air lol

i did all mine that way

I have checked my shims..
and my rocker arm go out shims and turn left and right..
there is a lot of space between cam lob and rocker arm..
it is impressionant:(

P

pulsarboby

the last few posts other than loz's have completely gone right over my head:? :doh: :lol:

martyn....bodge, botch, lashup yes all of those for sure, but does work!

loz...risky because if it does slip you can score a lump out of your nice set of cams (only takes one slip)

tenfoloten....sorry mate but i just dont understand what you mean! you need to read the first bit of thread again as this is about using feeler gauges to thicken the shim as opposed to buying new shims from nissan

P

pulsarboby

well in that case you have some serious gaps there:shock: :shock: they really need looking at!

you should not be able to lift the rocker off shims with cams bolted down you must have around 1mm to 1.5mm gaps, surprised its not thrown the rockers off tbh. something is definately badly wrong there.