Harnesses etc

Georges Dad

I used a CG lock in my Evo 8 which had good recaros to start with and it was OK but no where as good as a harness.

One thing to try is your seating position:

Adjust seat so your your head is touching the headrest and you can rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel. No point doing a track day driving like a wigga down Maccies with your seat at a 30 deg angle :p

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I do sit fairly​ upright, and what I found is that the harness will keep me within the bolsters on the standard seat; I can't reach the stereo, but I can reach the gear-stick and the controls around the steering wheel. - I'll definitely have a bit of a play with the angle etc though; does wearing a helmet change it at all (I'm thinking mainly about the head rest)?

Having had a play on the A500, I think I understand how you're able to be more precise with the controls with the harness on; I'm not holding onto the wheel to stay in place (thus my steering feels more smooth), and I'm not bracing myself with feet on pedals (thus the braking and accelerating are also more smooth).

keastygtir

I have a gc-lock and its ok in the standard seats. With an aftermarket bucket seat I think it would good enough.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Another update: it looks like do have a bucket seat now. - I won an eBay auction for £9.99
It may not be in the best condition, but as long as it's structurally sound I'm not going to worry too much... now all I have to do is (a) collect it and (b) work out how to install it.

Georges Dad

I used these on my Clio Cup, I used them for the lap strap mounting points. Saves drilling holes in the floor and they can take 7 tons of force. I just sandwiched them between the seat and the floor using the seat bolts, if you know what I mean.

http://www.msar-safety.com/detail.asp?p=88&o=B23_Bracket_(Snap-on_use)

You can then just snap off your harness as required

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was a little surprised to be honest; I saw a tatty-looking "Magnum" seat in Shropshire, and I said "yeah, I'd pay £15.00 for that"... but as nobody else bid I won it. - Obviously it's a little hard to tell from pictures on eBay, but it looks servicable.

It seems to me that I need two things to mount it: something that connects to the existing seat mounting points (i.e. the rails off the original seat?); and something that holds the new seat to them.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Nice find ..............How tall are you George ? If you fit it using standard cobra rails/side mounts you'll find your seating position is higher than it was in the standard seat, getting the seat low as possible is the key.

Once fitted though :thumbsup:I described it as the best value handling mod I'd ever done to the Pulsar, you thought the harness made it easier for you to control the car, the seat (if fitted properly) is a much bigger step up.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm something like 173cm tall (so 5'8" in the imperial scale?) - at least I think that's how tall I am; it's an ongoing argument with my wife who keeps telling me that I'm not as tall as I think I am (which is why I'm saying 173cm rather than 175cm). :roll:

I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I pick it up; maybe the vendor has some suggestions.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I got my father in law to fabricate something. I posted it on here if you do a search and can find it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I have previously seen the Bride rails come up for auction for a reasonable price... but I had no reason to buy them when I saw them. :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It looks like it's about £80-90 for GTi-R specific sub-frames from Cobra. - I did see one site that said they won't sell them unless you can prove you've got a Cobra seat to install... that just seems like a good way to loose the business to someone else.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
It looks like it's about £80-90 for GTi-R specific sub-frames from Cobra. - I did see one site that said they won't sell them unless you can prove you've got a Cobra seat to install... that just seems like a good way to loose the business to someone else.
Those frames sit the seat to high though, similar to Mark and Jim I posted a few pics of the ones i made up, I think Kieron posted pics of his as well.

jamesgtir

Nice find ..............How tall are you George ? If you fit it using standard cobra rails/side mounts you'll find your seating position is higher than it was in the standard seat, getting the seat low as possible is the key.

Once fitted though :thumbsup:I described it as the best value handling mod I'd ever done to the Pulsar, you thought the harness made it easier for you to control the car, the seat (if fitted properly) is a much bigger step up.
agree with steve on this. getting the seat as low as possible is the key. thats why ive got his old seat & frame in my car
;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I did read some of those, but until I collect it I don't even know if it can be side-mounted. - Have Magnum gone out of business; I can't find any information about their kit which might be helpful?

I'm not so worried about not being able to move the seat, or having it kissing the floor; it's only me that will use it, but that also means I'll need to keep the ability to put my original seat back in. - If I can separate the seat and use the subframe without destroying either of them, then I can use that to attach the seat mounts?

Incidentally, it turns-out that Schroth make "trackday" harnesses as well as the FIA stuff; their installation guide shows them attached to the rear seatbelt mounts and through the headrest of the car (using standard seats as long as they don't have an integrated headrest like Porsche); they actually make some for BMW that just click into the rear seatbelt buckles without any need for eye bolts etc. - I figure that if they're happy to have their products installed and used like that, then it must not be as bad as teh interwebs suggests.
I'm sure there's some disclaimer about not using them on the road, and obviously they're not motorsport compliant, but that's not what I'm planning either.

gtirx2

I cant completly remember now as its been a while,but i think when i looked into it other than the holding you up right in the seat because of the angle i think i also read that its not safe to use that angle with a standard seat.
I think even some fia seats were abit of an unknown as if to the back rest was strong enough,i think there was some test that they possibly went through to determine its strength?
Bare in mind its been a long time so my memory may be wrong,think it was something like that for over a certain angle though.

I personaly would never use harnesses with a stock seat,i once very lightly rolled a black gtir i was going to sell onto it side:oops:,the seat back snapped and it was only a very light roll,more of a nose up the hedge then forward up over a rock then flop on its side at the end,luckery proped up by another rock wedged into the rear quater stopping it from going right over:lol::doh:
I was a bit of a heffer back then though:oops::lol:even so there is not much to the stock seats back rest.

My mate also quite badly rolled a rover and the back rest snapped.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've got it home. - Looks like it requires side mounts; there was bottom mounts at some point, but it looks like someone decided to cut the bolts off and leave the stubs in the seat. :doh:

The vendor evidently rallys; mainly in Fords, but he'd bought a BMW track car that he was converting to a rally car. - That's where the seat came from; you can no-longer use Magnum seats for national rallying because they hardly ever bothered with the FIA approval on them.

They don't weigh anything do they? - I guess it must be GRP or plastic.
Feels like a good fit for me just sitting in it on the floor; not too small for my fat arse, but not so big that it's not supporting me.