gtir tubular manifold

A

antilag

well u cant brace the pipes together but i am making a brace to go in between the turbo and manifold that goes to the engine so it takes the weight and the manifold can still expand

N

N1SMO

How much can be done to the standard manifold and dump pipe, ie porting gasflowed ect. and would it make a big difference.

Hkondakci

Got the turbo manifold and wastegate from japan was told it came from team calsonic, hmmm

it all looked in mint condition no play on turbo no cracks on manifold
put it on the car thermal wrapped the manifold and had my gems ecu mapped to suit the new setup.
After 3 months the manifol cracked in at the turbo joints before the flange, got it tig welded and 3 months later the thing fell apart so many cracks.

its wet in scotland so i figure that very hot ss manifold + big cold puddles of water dont mix.
Thanks for that mate. Hmm, maybe just maybe, wrapping a manifold isn't a good idea after all...maybe this is an issue to be sorted. However I always heard and believed this was a good thing to do on SS manifolds...

I think hanging the turbine on the block with some kind of brace, without enabling the manifold to expand, will be an helpfull issue for the manifold, since some weight will be of his neck.

How much can be done to the standard manifold and dump pipe, ie porting gasflowed ect. and would it make a big difference.
Some guys in the States to this, and also Sirnixalot does this if I'm not wrong. Seems to help a good deal.

rgds
habib

N

N1SMO

you will need to wrap it or it will melt everything around it, mine was unwraped for 2 days and it melted the fan and some wires. i am talking about the manifold being so hot you can just about see through it.

A

antilag

well my mate used to wrap his evo manifold and that used to make it crack quicker in his opionion so i never bothered i ent melted anything in 6 months but i modified it to sit in a different place its not near anything really

N

N1SMO

you also have to consider the radient heat going into the radiator and over heating.

A

antilag

theres 6" between my rad and manifold no heat goes forward either even at standstill it dnt make the rad hot

Hkondakci

i am talking about the manifold being so hot you can just about see through it
that's quite hot really :lol: , hmm, so heat wrapping seems to be not so good for cracking, but good for other parts under the bonnet.... a dilemma so to say....

I've heard the other day from a Cosworth tuner here in our moisty Dutchland :lol:, that he always wrapped the donwipipe and even the whole exhaust system, for enhaunced flow and keeping the heat in the gasses to help minimilize back pressure; but he never wrapped SS manifolds, because of the vital need of these manifolds to expand and transfer heat to the outside.... I didn't agree with him at that time, but it now seems to make sense :wink:

rgds
habib

N

N1SMO

N1SMO said:
anyone have answers

Keira

standard dump pipe is best put in the bin :)

I guess from your previous posts you've had the thing off and seen it ?

I think ashhills has access to the flanges and is looking at getting a split dump pipe made up.

I've got a single piece front pipe/dump pipe lined up, will be getting onto matey next week about starting it.

skiddusmarkus

On the bracing,how about a sprung bolt,similar to on an exhaust to keep it in place?Might allow a bit more flex without cracking.

S

Sirnixalot

i am talking abot any bracing. The fabricators who are doing my manifold now have a steel rod for holding the turbo flange inplace. Its welded to the exhaust port and the turbo flange. I asked if they were going to keep that there and they said no because the middle of the rod where it isnt exposed to the same heat as the ends which are welded to the flanges which will cause it to expand at a slower rate putting stress on the manifold. braces with a little give might not crack the manifold but will they really do anything to prevent the cracking if they have some give?

A

antilag

im talking about making another flange to go in between the too just to help take the turbo weight the manifold should still expand the same my brace should just stop the whole lot droping wen it gets hot so basically my support will hold the turbo and downpipe in a fixed place but with a small part of movement

Nad

There must be some benifit to wrapping manifolds as rally cars do? I can see why u shouldnt as then it holds more heat in, but then shouldnt it also transfer it out faster if it isnt trying to seep out thru the manifold.

My old one had braces from the turbo flange to the block, a good idea IMO, the only prob was that the flanges were seperate and this allowed the pipes to twist, although if thye were joined no expansion could be allowed......

Research time :wink:

Nad

P.S. I gone back to a ported standard manifold for reliability

N

N1SMO

Nad said:
P.S. I gone back to a ported standard manifold for reliability
How much difference do you get from the standard manifold after you ported and polished it.

Nad

I'll tell ya when I get the car running :wink: I have heard of the 420bhp restriction although I have also heard that this is crap. It is rough in the manifold and it only needs the flow increasing by 5% or so to reach my target and porting out all the cast marks and a little should allow this. I also gotta do the work because the external wastegate needs a home as well.

Nad

M

madbazza95

RC DEVELOPMENTS.

RC DEVELOPMENTS MAKE A MANIFOLD FOR THE R.CALL CLIVE ASK HIM.

S

Sirnixalot

either way use Schedule 10 stainless steel tubing/bends so it wont crack after 2months

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Didn't one of the Cosworths have a support rod of some sort to help take the weight of the turbo? Wouldn't that idea work, even if a telescopic/sprun loaded one (if one could take the heat) could be sourced.