Gtir Launch

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
Not wanting to point out the blindingly obvious but doesn't carl's sig have a 3.7s 0-60 attached ;-):lol:
That was on a different day so wind your neck in and go and change some nappys or something ;-)

That was friendly banter incase any of our irish friends get all upset :lol: We're talking about the magazine feature at Bruntingthorpe that we were both at, i was 0.1 of a sec quicker to 60mph but Carl was 0.2 secs quicker (due to his lighter car :lol: ) over the 1/4 ;-)

Carl i reckon launching side by side there would be nothing in it, either technique seems to get good 60 foot times ;-) Its just my way is simpler :lol:

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Bruntingthorpe was done on Datron timing gear.

My 3.7 was done at York Raceway with the exact same spec but on the drag strip with 0-60 timing gear running as well.

(I never felt like I got a decent launch at Bruntingthorpe:nerner:)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:
That was on a different day so wind your neck in and go and change some nappys or something ;-)
No nappies to change she's still in special care. and unlikely to come out before the end of the week. What do you think I'm doing on here ;-)

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
What do you think I'm doing on here ;-)
You better make the most of it then ;-) Hopefully she'll be at home with you soon :thumbsup:

Carl your just making excuses now arent you :lol: Or do you mean that you didnt get a decent launch compared to my superior technique :noidea: :nerner:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It was the first time I'd launched it since having the RPS clutch fitted, so yes I'm making excuses:thumbsup:

I did get a 1.6 in the pouring rain at Elvington a couple of weeks later tho. :nerner: :lol:

gtirneil

At Rockingham raceway, which has a similar surface to Elvington, i just held the revs at 6500 then dumped the clutch. Had all 4 wheels spinning a tad, but did 3.9 - 60 mph.

Tried doing the same at Santa Pod and either bogged or had just the fronts spinning, still got 1.9 60ft's.

Dooie Pop Pop

gtirneil said:
At Rockingham raceway, which has a similar surface to Elvington, i just held the revs at 6500 then dumped the clutch. Had all 4 wheels spinning a tad, but did 3.9 - 60 mph.

Tried doing the same at Santa Pod and either bogged or had just the fronts spinning, still got 1.9 60ft's.
i did the same (on oe shocks lol) at shakespeare county (those lights are soo slow!) i launched at 5250rpm and span all the way through first, if i did that at the pod id bog down but i still think the pods startline is too slippery.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Studlife said:
to be safe just bog it off the line unless you really wanna start the rebuild process
Bogging is a launch with not enough revs so the engine dies on you then picks up again, why would you want to deliberately feck up a launch? As it's probably putting just as much strain on all the components as a full launch.:?
I think you might have meant just launch like a granny.;-)

S

sammydredgtir

ok on the handbrake theory,..I put the car in geear come off the clutch until the car stenches then on green light press the throttle an release the brake?:?

KF79GTIR

sammydredgtir said:
ok on the handbrake theory,..I put the car in geear come off the clutch until the car stenches then on green light press the throttle an release the brake?:?

Informative 2nd post if you launch like that your car will last as long as you have been on the forum

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
sammydredgtir said:
I don't know what stenches means but probably. If you do hill starts or ride motorbikes you'll easily understand but you need to feed in the power.

Alternatively do what Carl and Mark suggest though mechanical sympathy for the car means I don't like just dropping the clucth and hoping nothing explodes. Works for them and they're more experienced.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Obvious now you mention it :doh: I thought it might have been an American term for biting point or something :lol::lol::lol: