Gtir Launch

B

benp

Well heres a pretty serious newbie question, i'm gonna be taking the car to the drag strip at the end of the month for a big race and I need some advice on launching the car. I figured its better to ask questions instead of learning on my own and breaking something. Any techniques you guys wanna share? the car is bone stock btw.

B

beastgtir

Slightly deflate the tyres to 25psi.
Have the biting point ready with the handbrake up and as soon the lights are about to change drop it and the clutch aswell, 4k is a good beginning launch.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
If you are on normal road tyres then drop your pressures to around 20psi.. Hit Full throttle and dump the clutch as the revs pass 6000rpm...

ashills

and the standard clutch will go bye bye
4-5k and get off the clutch quick if u drop tyre pressures etc u will just put more strain on clutch and the standard turbo should hold some boost at that sort of rpm o get you off the line and another tip if it slips like mad as u launch just back off and coast up strip so u wont do to much damage you see so many people slip badly off the line then try like buggery to catch up when they have no chance and just do more damage

Studlife

best bet is to up the boost to 1 bar do it on a really hot day for the most heat soak with very little fuel for the most chance of surge hehe let the revs bounce off the limiter drop the clutch and smell the smoke, then start looking for a new clutch for the drive home

CanadianR

ben, when I launched when I first had the car, I had revs at 4k and kept them there while letting the clutch out, until it was fully out and the revs climbed. Give it more gas as you go and let the clutch out more and more quick. If that makes sense. Just don't do what I did and wind up so fast that the clutch must have just heated up and was useless for a few minutes.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not that I do much dragging but with a smoother clutch you can also use your handbrake. Treat it like the biggest hill start in the world onto a dual carriage way, set you revs, feed your clutch, re-set your revs and drop the handbrake whilst letting out the clucth. It gives earily smooth launches and is more forgiving on the transmission. With twin plate metallic clutches, hill starts like drag launches become more difficult so the easisest solution is too dial in too many revs and drop the clucth so you know the engine can't bog down.

Just noticed, Beastgtir already said about using the handbrake and I'd agree with 4K-5K. Depends what your clutch can take.

Last edited:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
If you've got an uprated clutch, keep blipping the throttle between 5-5500 or 5500-6000 rpm (to spin the turbo up) then sidestep the clutch and off you go! :twisted::twisted::twisted:
I've done this for 3 years with my Helix Organic Clutch and both it and the box have been fine :-D:thumbsup:

Have fun out there ( & if you're headed to York Raceway at the end of the month i might see you there!)

Cheers,

donpulsar :-D

555NAP

i kept my tire pressure up so it would grip so much less strain on gearbox etc etc... and held at about 6k wif handbrake just holding.... light turns green foot down but just ride the clutch a bit till traction is gathered, then away u go... i think its better to change my cluch than my gearbox.. i have done so many 7k launch now i cant remember and never had a prob... running 15psi.

MarkTurbo

Dont bother with any of this blipping the throttle or using the handbrake :lol: For consistant good launches just hold the revs steady at 6000rpm then let the clutch up when you see the green light ;-)

At somewhere grippy like santa pod doing it that way you'll get 1.7/1.8 sec 60 foots everytime!

Only use the above method if you're not bothered about breaking your gearbox :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:
Dont bother with any of this blipping the throttle or using the handbrake :lol: For consistant good launches just hold the revs steady at 6000rpm then let the clutch up when you see the green light ;-)
When I first got my R, I tried 5,6 and 7K rpm launches. On every one my car bogged down:?

I eventually found that blipping the throttle (5-6k) would give me about 0.5bar boost and propel me off the line like a rocket:thumbsup:

MarkTurbo

I can honestly say ive never bogged it once launching like that, ive got 13 timing slips from that 1/8 mile event i did the otherday and even on a not too grippy airfield surface everyone of my 60 foot times was 1.8/1.9 secs ;-)

How do you get 0.5 bar with the car at a standstill :shock: When i tried a 7000rpm launch the otherday i was blipping it from 6000 upto 7000 trying to get the revs where i wanted them and even then i was only getting just enough boost to register positive pressure on the gauge :?

Dooie Pop Pop

to blip or not to blip? that is the question :lol:

Mark (revs) was a tiny bit faster than Carl(blip) at bruntinthorpe but Carl had one extra gear change.......

MarkTurbo

I reckon Carls car had a better power to weight ratio than mine so the extra gearchange would have made things even :lol: So the fact that my 0-60 was 3.9 and his was 4.0 proves that my launching technique is better :nerner:

That sounded logical in my head anyway :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I could get the half bar blipping the throttle on a completely standard set up. With the lightened flywheel I couldn't get it to register, but my launches don't seem any different,

It'd be intersting to see us side by side. The Fasterer and furiouserer:lol:

My 1/4 was faster that day therefore my launch technique must be better. :nerner: 60 is about the only point you'd be faster as it's right after I've had to change into 3rd

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not wanting to point out the blindingly obvious but doesn't carl's sig have a 3.7s 0-60 attached ;-):lol: