Fuel pump removal!

Mr C

Has anyone got any tricks to getting the pump carrier out of the tank? I've been pulling at it for an hour and it just wont come out.

Manual just says "remove pump" which is great but it wont move more that a couple of millimeters before if seems to hit something!!

TIA.

P

pulsarboby

you need to give it a real good hard tug with some of them, and try wiggling it side to side at same time.
put some rag around edge of tank though as when it does come free youll rip the skin off your wrist on that sharp edge and it stings like boogery when your arms covered in petrol believe me lol

Mr C

Cheers Bob,

Been pulling at it wiggling it and shock tugging it and still it wont shift. It's just sitting there looking at me.

I'm getting to the point of defeat, been at it for four and a half hours now :(

Empty Pockets

Haven't done one for a while, but doesn't it slide sideways before it pulls out ? Get a torch and have a look in there to see what's holding it mate.

Mr C

Right, I've now resorted to desperate measures and looped a tow rope, yes a tow rope round the back of the pump, pulled with everything I had left and shocked it as well, I think the carrier will actually pull the holder off the tank before it'll come out. Gonna have to give up for today.

Don't know what else to try now short of swapping the tank out :(

Mr C

Haven't done one for a while, but doesn't it slide sideways before it pulls out ? Get a torch and have a look in there to see what's holding it mate.
No sideways movement possible sadly, it feels like a lug on the bottom that's probably been moulded a bit too big, the whole mounting lifts at the back when you pull it.

Thanks for the replies guys, if you have any other suggestions feel free.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The carrier and pump should slide out. It's angled upwards toward the hole I think. There might be a small tag on the carrier to catch it in place, I can't remember, but a firm pull in the right direction should have it out.

Mr C

The carrier and pump should slide out. It's angled upwards toward the hole I think. There might be a small tag on the carrier to catch it in place, I can't remember, but a firm pull in the right direction should have it out.
Yeah, it moves towards me a couple of mm then hits something, I've felt all around it and had a torch in there to see what I can and there doesn't seem to be any release clips or anything like that. Tried lifting it as much as I could to clear whatever is holding it but still no movement.

PITA as the pump is dead so it's not like I can get it to anyone to have a look.

Thanks Empty Pockets, I'll see if I can get a photo in the mean time so you can see what I've got.

Mr C

Links to a couple of pictures on Photobucket.

Unfortunately one is very blurry, couldn't tell when I took it and have now re-sealed the tank as it got dark.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz28/painfulgrapes/Pulsar/FuelPump1.jpg
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz28/painfulgrapes/Pulsar/FuelPump2.jpg

You'll hopefully see that it appears to just slot in to two I-bar shapped sections on either side. I thought the metal thing was in the way but if you look as you pull it it doesn't seem to be.

Empty Pockets: If you do manage to figure your one out, please let me in on the secret as it looks like I'm back on the train for another week :(

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

Mr C

Is there not a little clip you push down before pulling the carrier out, there was on my car..
Where abouts was it, I couldn't see one, I did think that about the metal section though, but it doesn't seem to move, found a couple of guides now and they both say pull it hard as pulsarboby said, but even with a tow rope round the back of it and me pulling for all I'm worth it wouldn't shift and looked like I was going to pull the whole bracket off the tank.

red reading: I guess that does sound kinda strange doesn't it :)

P

pulsarboby

weve removed loads and loads of these.....obviously, and have pump cages sitting in the garage. they do just slot in theres no clip holding them.
when you pull it try lifting it up from the front.
if you cant get it free then cheat lol.....the cage slots in two pieces so get a screwdriver and bend the cage plastic sideways then the top part of cage will come away and allow you to lift the pump out, you should then be able to see whats stopping the bottom part from coming out

Mr C

I tried lifting the front, no joy.

I tried to separate the cage but didn't realise it was that flexible, it's like 5mm or more to split it. I had thought you might have a few, just didn't want to shatter it and leave loads of bits floating around the tank.

I expect all that's stopping it is an oversized retaining lug. When I get it out I'll let you know, thanks again.

Mr C

did you manage to get this out mate
Sadly not no. I kinda gave up after 6 hours in sub zero temperatures :(

I might have another go over the bank holiday coming, see if I can separate the carrier halves with the aid of a screwdriver and hope it doesn't explode in a million bits. Having said that I damn near pulled the pump right out of the carrier by it's hose at one point so maybe that's another option, but I was worried the sock would fall off the back and disappear.

If you have any other suggestions then feel free mate.