fuel pump issue

jay1

wondering if anyone has come across this problem before, the fuel pump wont prime when key is turned. tested the electrics at the pump and i get 12v, then drops off to zero within a second. the previous owner wired in his own switch for the pump all be it very very badly. i have ripped out all their wiring and would like to find the original fault before wiring in another switch correctly.

the previous owner reckoned it was down to the hks fuel cut defender, does that sound right to anyone??

Dangerous Dave

Look under the drivers seat I think the original wire for tge pump runs to a connector under there. It could well of burnt out at that connector.

Also so have a look at the relay under tge bonnet could be on it's way out.

jay1

cheers mate, il have a look at that, sorting out so many bodges owners have done over the years, its reli starting to get on my nerves now, do one job and discover 2 more lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is this when you turn the ignition on but not starting the engine as it doesn't run much more than a second at that point anyway. It's just enough to pressurize the fuel system before starting.

So is it not starting, struggling to start or what?

Our cars don't need a fuel cut defender.

jay1

turn the ignition on, and it doesnt make any noise, it did start as they had wired in a switch from the battery, but i ripped all that out as it was 3 different sizes of wire taped together lol he put the fuel cut thing in it, i might even take it out if its not nescesary as thats probably been bodged aswell lol